Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Valentine Memories... 2023


I really hope you all had a lovely Valentine's Day. We sure did, although we really didn't do anything too different from the other 365...
My son got a good report from his ordeal when he went to the doctor on Monday. I had prayed for a good report, the doctor to be in a kind mood, and for helpful instructions. All three were granted, so that was wonderful. We had springlike weather until the actual day, when it was a bit grey and gusty. My son surprised me with some food on Monday from a favorite Chinese Restaurant, China Garden.  We had that for Monday and Tuesday!  So I still have my menu I'd planned ready for the weekend.... (it's just spaghetti, so it isn't really ready yet...)  I think after a while, planning what to fix is harder than fixing it. Don't you?


I had several surprises for Valentine's Day...  candy, flowers, leather journal...  homemade fabric Valentines for my collection....  It was simply a loverly day all over. My son and I did some little surprises, and I made some heart-shaped Rice Krispie and Peanut Butter cookies...  Now we go back into diet mode...  C'est la Vie...


I guess this blog is the place for me to pour out all the silly, dumb, absolutely dopey things I have done...  Well, last Thursday night may have to top the list, I hope, for a while....  I am so blessed, lucky, and grateful! Super late at night I was sitting there in the darkened living room watching a movie, and I decided to use some of those wonderful eye drops for dry eyes...  You know... the kind that are are all slick and soothing...  Well, I grabbed mine, so I thought, and suddenly... 


Ooooh, cheee. chow... wow!   Instead of that, I had grabbed the Compound W...  I had purchased some of that because I had misidentified an arthritis bump on my thumb.... a few weeks ago...  I know. I should have put that little bottle up and all that...  But it just sat there tucked into the little row of meds on the back of my side table.  I smelled that awful smell, and liquid fire poured down my face.  It was just awful. It was so painful, and it coursed down my cheek, across my lips and down my neck. I called out to my son, but he had already gone to sleep, and he didn't hear me. So, my first thought was to thank God that I had missed my eyes...  Yep.  I am just terrible at putting in eye drops...  I had just barely missed my eye.... but in this case that was a life saver, I think. I called 911 and Poison Control. They both said it would be ok, and to flush my face with warm water and mild soap and follow with some kind of ointment like Petroleum Jelly. My friend's pharmacist husband told me the next day this med was the same ingredient that they use in some acne medicine ... only more concentrated.  My face was bright red and really sore for most of the week, and my lips were a little blistered...  I have been peeling little layers of skin kind of like a sunburn, but it really looks okay.  I guess I got a "free" chemical peel.  Maybe I will look younger on one side...  Believe me, I won't be doing that again to even up the face!  


I really haven't had much other news.  I postponed my Cardiologist appointment on Friday due to snow on Thursday, but in typical Missouri fashion, I could have easily gone. All the snow was gone, and it felt like spring! 


I also postponed my dental appointment to get my dentures...  I am in a big postpone it funk, I guess...  I just figured I needed to get straightened out with all the other things going on...  Ya know?


So on my agenda for today is maybe to put away the St. Valentine's Day decor and whip out St. Patrick's Day. I'm making an Irish Journal for a sweet repeating customer on Etsy...  I was supposed to make her a Valentine one, but I had to cancel because I thought at the time my son had Covid. The doctor hasn't ruled out that he might have had it to begin his troubles. I don't think so...  but who knows for sure.


I have been doing quite a bit of crochet lately. I just basically do different things with the Granny stitch because it seems to be the thing that soothes my spirit the most...  I guess it is almost automatic...  


Callie fears I will make her one of these outfits.  I would, but I know she would just flop down and never get up...  She did that with the little coat I made her wear one day a few years ago...   



I finished this afghan for a friend in Florida.  She has had a stoke, and she navigates in a wheel chair.   She seems to really enjoy the fruits of my labor, and she really gets a little joy wearing an afghan to town or the doctor... or even just at home.  I think they run their air conditioner to the level to make their house cold enough to feel like the Philadelphia they loved so much...  


This cozy blanket (about 48 inches or so) is out for the mail lady this morning if the box doesn't just blow away.  I think the winds on our Missouri prairie have grown during my lifetime.. Is that because so many of us cleared out land of the trees?  I think I read that. Dunno, but it sure does blow a lot!  lol...



I sure hope I have nothing to confess in my next blog.  I know it gets kind of  incredible to hear that I have done something like that Compound W thing......  I mean, try living in my self-deprecating skin a little!  On second thought, wait until it gets over this escapade...  My skin needs a break!  lol...



Enjoy the rest of the month. I'll be back soon...


Whimsy and Hugs!

2 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Oh my!!! Thank goodness it did not get into your eyes. So scary. I bet your face was sore.

It is so unseasonably warm here, it is almost scary. I am hoping for a good snow or at least a good frost to keep the insect population down next summer!!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Gayla I am so sorry you did that with the meds. I was thinking you'd gotten it into your EYE! I was so relieved to read that you missed it but WOW that sounds so painful! I guess it will be a while before you do that again. We tell a funny story in our family about my Mamaw (Mom's mom) -- and there are a lot of them, as she was a real original. She and Papaw were at a drive-in movie sometime in the sixties and that was when mascara came in a little cake with a tiny brush in the box. She reached into her purse for what she thought was something to put on her lips (obviously not a tube of lipstick but maybe a tin of balm) and -- you guessed it -- when the movie was over and they were driving home with lights all around, Papaw looked over and saw what he called her "eye blackin'" smeared all over her mouth! Haahahahaha she never lived that one down. xoxo