prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 40 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR
Chewy Chocolate Cherry Brownies - a chocolate and cherry explosion of flavour as chewy brownies get pieces of sweet cherries baked right in and even more in the delicious frosting.
For the Brownies
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup good quality cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 ounce unsweetened bakers chocolate, melted (1 square)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cherries, chopped and cut in quarters
For the Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 tbsp milk; only enough to bring the frosting to a spreadable consistency.
- 1/3 cup fresh cherries, chopped
To prepare the brownies
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Melt the butter over low heat
- Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar, melted chocolate eggs and vanilla.
- Stir slowly until the sugar is dissolved. Pinch the mixture between your fingers to make sure that you cannot feel any sugar granules. This is an important step in baking fudgy brownies.
- Gradually mix in dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chopped cherries.
- Spread the batter into a greased or parchment lined 9x9 baking pan.
- Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes at 350 degrees F (325 F for glass bakeware) Cool completely before frosting. When cooled, if your edges are too high you can trim them horizontally with a serrated bread knife to level the brownies.
To prepare the Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix all the ingredients together except the cherries and beat very well until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the milk last to get the frosting to the right consistency.
- Finally fold in the 1/3 cup chopped fresh cherries.
- Spread evenly on top of the cooled brownies before cutting into squares or bars.