Thursday, February 2, 2023

Febrero, La Joya Querida del Invierno!




What a cad I was to promise cookies and then disappear! I fully intended a quicker post, but we have been so busy here trying and succeeding at feeling better.




 My son has been quite ill, and finally went in an ambulance last Saturday to the Emergency Room. He had most of the symptoms for a great many problems... Covid, Flu, C-Diff, Strep, Thrush, Infection... just no fever.... We pushed fluids and water and tried everything. Even the trip to the ER just ruled out all the above ailments.  Sunday morning our doctor called. My son had bottomed out on sodium and several minerals... too much water. We are in a dangerous spot where they say there isn't room in our hospitals. They're "full." is what they say, but really that translates to the fact that while our hospitals have beds empty, they are understaffed and do not have nurses for more patients. Our local hospital recently had to send an emergency patient to Wichita, Kansas (344 miles away). I am not going to indulge political commentary here... But this is a sad and scary fact for our area. So my son was instructed to limit fluids to 1.5 liters of Gatorade or Gatorlyte. Someone really should have told his Mama not to Google Hyponatremia or the dangers of having it, getting it, or of reversing it. But, thank the Lord, he is so much better. SO MUCH!!! Our doctor is quite good... not so easy to get along with... rather known for his yelling and all that... but he seems to have been right "spot on" here. 




So... time to get back to the original plan... tea and cookies!


I decided in early January to make at least one batch of cookies, even though this house needs NO cookies. What was happening for the past six years has been good old Denial. While I would NEVER make just us something like cookies, I used to make them for friends. Then we went into hybernation/isolation. and no more homemade... but I would indulge in some from Aldi's bakery. (May I recommend their Kitchen Sink cookies?)




January had only one batch. I rolled the cookies into parchment tubes and created slice and bakes... I put the final tube in the oven this morning and enjoyed a whimsical cup of Jasmine tea... maybe the penguin is intended to put his elbows on the cup, hot tub style? Not sure, but it is worth trying tomorrow.




Here is my recipe:

Oatmeal Chip-iful Cookies

1 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. softened butter
1 t. Vanilla
1 large egg
2 c. Quick oats
1 1/2 c. flour 
1 t. baking soda
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. butterscotch chips
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
You could do any flavors here or raisins!
(I omitted a 1/2 c. crushed pecans)  no teeth!!!!!

I used a big spoon and started mixing from the top... Yes, I had to sprinkle in some cold water at the end. I divided it into four logs and twisted the ends of  the parchment. The recipe called for the usual steps... I baked a few at a time for about 10 -12 minutes at 350 degrees on parchment-lined cookie sheet. They really don't look done, but they set up fine. 


Enjoy!


 February, the Darling Jewel of Winter
(blog title translation)

Whimsy and Hugs!

2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

They look delicious, I think I will try them! And also healthy, with all the oatmeal! Thanking God that your son is so much better! You must have been beside yourself! And no one ever was able to dagnose him? Except for the water toxicity. I would rather have a gruff doctor who is a very good doctor than a real nice one who was bad at his job. It is so scary about some of the hospitals, we need to try and keep really healthy because cannot count on good medical care all the time now. I'm so sorry you had to go through that!! He should have been admitted.

Jenny the Pirate said...

The idea of making tubes of your dough to freeze is brilliant, Gayla. I am going to try that! And wow this looks like a fantastic recipe. Thank you for sharing it! I am so sorry to hear that your son was that sick, that he had to go to the ER. Terrifying! But even though your doctor hasn't got a great bedside manner, at least he's smart and got y'all the help you needed. That's the important part. The doctor who did both of my hip replacements is very brusque but after the way the surgery changed my life (actually gave my life back to me), I have zero complaints! I hope everyone has continued to feel better and do better every day at your house! xoxo