Sunday, March 13, 2022

Hot and Cold Compresses

Nobody here is hurt! The compresses are for the land. We switch between snow and 6 degree temps to balmy 72 degree days in a matter of hours. March is like that. I kind of love it! We have made the transition to Daylight Savings time... rather an easy one this year. I won't grump like I usually do... yay! You've been spared. 

I made beefy enchiladas today. I was beginning to think my MOJO to cook was gone for good. I used low carb tortillas, but I did use refried beans so... there were carbs involved!

De la casa de Señor Alvarez: Beef and Bean Enchiladas

1 1/2 # hamburger (browned and drained)
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1/3 to 1/2 small can Chipotle peppers in Adobe sauce, (minced very thin) opt.
...or use 1 - 2 t. Cumin. I like spices better than than peppers!
1 regular can refried beans
1 16-oz. bag cheddar shredded cheese
1 can enchilada sauce

Mix  tomatoes, peppers, and beans. 
Use a small amount of  that spread on each tortilla. I used about a quarter cup. Add a couple Tbsp. Hamburger and a small amount of cheese and fold into a  roll. I don't tuck the ends; and place seam down in a sprayed 7" x 11" pan... I think it will do a 9" x 13" best because I had 6 rolls  today and 4 to bake for later. I like to use my small convection oven...[because I store pans in my real oven... full disclosure!] Pour sauce over top and Sprinkle with cheese. I'm pretty generous with cheese... bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes. I covered with foil for 35 min. and took it off for last 25 min. ... if you don't like it hot at all, sub in 2 t.. cumin and leave out Chipotle.


I made all this in my Irish Belleek casserole dish... multicultural, I guess. 

This takes me back to fixing for a party at my university Spanish professor's house in 1974... we took grapefruits and stuck colored toothpicks in like little space monsters. Each toothpick had green or black olives or tiny squares of cheese... Señora Alvarez was so gracious and happy... She seemed quite old but... probably she was my age now! Lol... 

These large book marks with mint tea were my St. Patrick's Day greetings... Had fun with them... 

Have an awesome week... 


3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love your cat lady quote and picture! The enchiladas look delicious, and the owl bookmark is beautiful.

Miss Merry said...

Those burritos look delicious! It is supper time here already, but maybe later this week. Your weather sounds like our weather. Snow last Friday and I was blinded by the sunshine and 60 degree temperatures today.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh my word I love your Belleek casserole dish! And that recipe sounds amazing and looks sooo good, and it is not possible to be too generous with cheese! I am about to make some more Hot Taco Dip, because it's so easy and delicious, and such a crowd pleaser ... your journals are breathtaking, simply gorgeous! xoxo