Thursday, January 7, 2021

I Absolutely Lied... I guess...

Just a quick post to update you about a lie I told... Mainly to myself because I believed it! I have stayed out of my son's room for the three and a half years he has lived here. One afternoon in 2019 I ventured in to create a little order, but... mainly I have focused on my own mess and let him do or ignore at his own discretion. However, I have told him repeatedly his closet was empty. I also told anyone who asked that I had dealt with all my mom's clothes the first week after she died. Everyone seemed a little surprised but agreed it was a good thing. I felt so relieved of that burden. 


Cut to today. My son is really getting serious about emptying his room. He told me earlier he didn't think I was right about any of that... so I did what my mom always did when she thought she was right. I bet him a hundred dollars. Um... You cannot imagine the stack of clothes he brought out to the kitchen... All manner of shoes and sweaters and tops and coats... All of it. I was telling a friend how shocked, and she said I must have done something with the sack of clothes from the hospital! I don't know... But here were the little suits, the familiar, the new with tags, the old with stains... the whole 900 yards of usable fabric? donate-worthy items? trashable junk? Then he started on the shelves.... and here came my Barbie stuff,  doll stands, and dolls ---- and my 4-H ribbons... I called a truce, a halt, a cease-fire. 



Not like my mother, who once actually paid my son for a silly hundred dollar bet,--- I don't intend to actually hand over any dough unless he sends in the collection squad... But ... I hate decisions, sorting, organizing, thinking about crafts vs. thinking of a cleaner house...



So... what a heart-breaking, sad, no-good, very bad day... Clothes are just so personal.




And I topped it off with a little bedtime snack of sprouted grain toast, butter and teensy bit of peanut butter---- which sounds wonderful but actually broke a tooth... My teeth are horrible. I didn't take care of them very well, but mainly baby boomer me (can't blame anyone)  ruined them with childhood antibiotics. 


Tomorrow will be a better day. Right, Katy Scarlett?



Whimsy and Hugs!

3 comments:

Miss Kim said...

Clearing the personal items of a loved one who has passed (especially a mother) is a very difficult thing to do. It is a good thing to admit that you were hiding this! Good for you for finally getting to it- you were ready, and there's no timetable for things like this. xo

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh nO! I am so sorry about your tooth! will you have to go to the dentist? I haden't been to the dentist yet since covid started. Then I had a problem and was forced to go. but as my doctor said, the dentists are taking remarkable precautions. What a neat solution to the clothes problem!! Kind of a win-win for both of you! Let me know about yout tooth!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Katie Scarlett O'Hara would indeed agree that we can put off until tomorrow what we don't like to think about doing today. Fiddle dee dee! But when it comes to teeth, you can't do that. I have terrible teeth too. You'd drop yours if you knew how much money we have poured into fixing my teeth, in the last thirty years. Just putting out fires! I am meticulous in care of them and I'm too vain to go down a road of unsightly teeth. As for cleaning out closets and rooms ... I am LONG overdue for tackling many jobs like that. But I'd rather eat a sandwich in bed and watch TV, haahahahaa. xoxo