Thursday, December 17, 2020

Rx for Change

Well, lucky for thee I am not posting photos of my big revelatory moment tonight... or rather the seventy fifth thousand advent of it...  No, tonight's catalyst was slick and messy and really quite nasty! Curious? Read on...


My dark and chilly landing ... Sorry about the lighting.


We have hung heavy comforters over the opening to the lower room of our house. We don't use that room, and it isn't heated or cooled. And it causes the darkness...  But I will now continue with the mess...

I decided Keto quiche would be good for supper, and it was wonderful. However... during the creation phase yours truly ah... missed the mixing bowl with a grade A- brown shelled egg...  No, "luckily" it didn't run down the cabinet or hit the floor..  Naw... It slid, ooey-gooey into the side of my linen/tea towel/junk/??? drawer by the sink. Well, mercy me! It really made a mess. And now, after I finally finished the clean-up, I am glad that happened... 

This table-scape comes as a memory of festive brunches past. Mom and I threw a little party for some dear friends, and we had a blast!
Merry Christmas 2014

So... after a hasty sponge-out and "wild tossing out on the floor" of slightly eggy towels and sponges and whatchamacallits, I realized that drawer was a huge mess full of stuff that really should be elsewhere or pitched. And I did that... through clenched teeth. Seems I have turned into my grandmother. Now not really, in all the magical and perfect ways she truly was--- but in the respect of dwelling daily midst the old and worn and tattered (with lovely all stored neatly) ... So, this was/is my returning lesson. Use these blessings/gifts/pretties... I once was fascinated by a comparison of the Biblical story of Manna..  use it daily for it cannot run out--- or be stored. 

So flashback to finding a drawer of lovely nightgowns given to Gramma. I was cleaning out her bedroom after she passed away. There in her special drawer I found a soft red shawl I brought her from a trip to the city, box after box of pretty lace trim cotton gowns, new scarves and purses...  you know that kind of drawer. You have all either had one or love someone who does! I compared it all to her daily clothes so worn, patched, and laundry-thinned. I can see her standing in her kitchen with her apron pinned over a dress because the ties were long gone. (And there was no end to the never worn aprons in her closet)

I hear my dad's story about taking his dear Oldsmobile to the junkyard after it was totaled in the 70's while parked in front of my house in town. He saw the irony. He had loved that car and ordered seat covers immediately from Fingerhut's famed catalog... He told Mom, "I told the junkyard owner kind of proudly those seats had never been sat on. --- and he told me they would no doubt sell the windshield first thing which will let the rain ruin those seats we never sat on..." 

And so the saga finds its end... with stacks of  "too-cute to use" tea towels christened with a golden egg goo for their first brush with real living and a Tide pod. I had been saving these beauties while I employed the eldest towels and crumbly sponges to greet me daily in my cleanups...  So, I shut my eyes and pitched the grayed yucky, everyday towels... not even stopping for the rag drawer (although most like my rescue mode will scoop them from the trash for paint rags--- as if I paint) It matches my date with my wardrobe where I separated those old tops that looked so much in the spirit of my gramma. I already bought comfy, cute sweaters so what IS my deal?

In case I suffer a catastrophic financial crisis, I will not be attired in tomorrow's new, but/old clothes. Today I am trying to reclaim the beautiful life I used to seek...


And I vow to have my linen drawer shut next time I make a quiche!


Whimsy and Hugs! Christmas 2014

3 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Your story is the universal truth, isn't it! When I cleaned out my gramma's house, I too found boxes of gifted aprons, never worn. Those went to Goodwill. I kept a huge box of the threadbare, worn out ones she really wore much too long, but finally parted with them.

A few years ago I hosted my husband's family for a big dinner. I have collected my "wedding china" for years and after big scores at Goodwill and an auction, I have at least 30 dinner plates. I set up tables and that was what we used. I will never forget my nephew lifting his plate and saying - we are using these dishes???? Why not. My kids already tell me to get rid of my grandmother's china (in hutch number one) and my mother's china (in hutch number two). They aren't going to want what is mine in hutches three and four.

It's time to enjoy the fancy! We deserve it!

Susie said...

Gayla, Your story of your grandmother is true of so many. Make do. My mom was that way. One Christmas I told her ,use the good stuff...cause if any thing ever happened to you..dad's new wife will use it. LOL. Mommy started getting all the good things out, after that day. I catch myself wearing the same old same ol's. I truly hate that too. I swore when I retired I would throw away any work clothes. LOL. I should just have a closet of jeans and t-shirts. Especially this past year...who dresses up to go anywhere. Use the new towels miss. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Jenny the Pirate said...

My late father-in-law was like that ... he had a closet full of new shirts and jackets and what have you ... but never touched them because he wasn't done wearing his old ones, which, according to him, were perfectly suitable. Never mind that they looked a fright! Oh dear. After my mother-in-law passed, we went into her closet and reclaimed as-yet-unworn cute tops we'd recently given her. I'm not like that ... I use everything but I will say, I am reluctant to part with stuff. Especially glass jars ... don't get me started ... I could use them to hold paint, I guess. As if I paint. Haaahahaha! xoxo