Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Happy Christmas/New Year Week!

I don't know when, but I became a morning person! I do enjoy the first hour or so of the day... I have more blue hour photos than I can shake a stick at, as I'm sure you all know! 


And the morning's new dawn looks suspiciously like yesterday's! But that is a delight actually! Almost 40 years ago I was hospitalized for nearly two months after my son was born. I learned right then I didn't want to be released from that to go climb mountains or attend gala events... I wanted to come to my quiet home and putter around in the kitchen, throw in a load of laundry, sweep up a corner, and generally do the daily round of chores, including my very favorite--- washing dishes by hand. I once owned an automatic dishwasher, but it just became a very handy place/rack to store my china and silverware. I was probably born to be in the house staff of Downton Abbey... a genuine Mrs. Pattison, for sure! 


My son bought me some really lovely Christmas gifts. One was this delicious rose gold teapot! I have not heard its whistle yet because all the brewing I have done is in the wee hours when he is still trying to sleep. He also bought me the sweetest quilt and shams, which I will be sharing this week. 


Our prairie has sounded like these pictures look--- although we had no snow for Christmas. We sure had cold, icy wind... 6 degrees with a much lower chill factor! My dad's windows howled (each equipped with metal weather stripping that plays such melancholy tunes)... Of course, I love it! lol... Was there ever a contrary thought I did not embrace? I can honestly say if given a choice between a vacation in sunny Hawaii or beautiful Fiji or any truly glorious paradise vs. a morning at home with a cup of tea or coffee (Diet Coke!) and a real cookie,--- I would never blink an eye and choose home-- and that cookie!

Google Images photos


I am working through some nearly-finished WIPS  (Works in Progress) before 2021 arrives. This one got its last stitches Sunday. It is called Peppermint and Holly. I've been kitting up my New Year's start, and today I drew near to a finish on a Earl Grey denim blue and grey granny afghan. My goal is to try not to buy any materials, cross stitch charts (patterns) yarn, or paper pads in 2021.  Unless I get a heap of things fully finished (also a part of the plan.) We shall see, and after all... I made the rule, so... one month at a time!


I will be dipping in later this week with my "Word of the Year" post. Can you guess it? 

Whimsy and Hugs!

3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

The tea kettle is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the quilt and shams. Your needlework is beautiful and detailed. I am like you, just so appreciative to be at home tinkering around and straightening up. I like organizing, it has a calming effect on me! but I am still a nightowl. We do not have a dishwasher, and haven't had one for over 50 years! i don't see the need for one with just two people.Growing up, we did have one. But it was more trouble than it was worth.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

How lucky you are, to see the sunrise!!!!

✨😌✨💛🔥💛✨😴✨

Jenny the Pirate said...

Girl I will choose home every time ... I love to travel (by car; the pirate does not fly) but home is where I love to be. Now, about this early rising thing. I have been notorious throughout my adult life (and especially since being an empty nester, and since I quit court reporting in 2012) for staying up as late as I please, and rising as late as I please. And although I still stay up as late as I please, and don't have to get up, I can't sleep late anymore. Usually by about six a.m., I am awake and trying to go back to sleep, which I sometimes do, but like as not, won't be able to. I think maybe I should just start getting up when I wake up. At least I'll try it and see how it goes.

Your kettle is so beautiful. I had a beloved kettle that my daughter ruined several years ago, and replaced with one I hated. Then, three Christmases ago, she gave me a charming little kettle from the Vermont Country Store. I love it. Loving your kettle is so important.

And I love your cross stitch project. THAT -- unlike crochet -- I CAN do!

xoxo