Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Tradition



Keto or not, I have the ingredients for my favorite apple cake. I have made this cake so many times! I really don't think a person can ruin this cake because I have done everything possible to try.  I have bundt caked it, loaved it, crumbled it, and frozen it. I don't peel my apples unless the peeling is very hard. I love it with pecans,walnuts,  raisins, or dried or fresh cranberries... or just about anything delicious you can add. Make half of it for just a couple of friends. This is a very old recipe from Ma, my dad's mother,  known for her hospitality and her cooking. I often watched her stir this cake up while she talked to a kitchen full of friends. Ma was a soft-spoken delight, and she had so many wonderful women who surrounded her. When she passed away, I was touched by the line of sweet little old ladies who came up, slipped a rose from the flowers to "press" and whispered to me: "She was my very best friend." I'm sure this cake didn't hurt! Have a lovely weekend. I might try it with cut up summer squash, Stevia,  and almond flour... that would be keto... or  I might have a little cheat day.


Ma's Apple Cake

1/2 c. butter
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking soda
2 t. cinnamon
2 c. flour
5-7 c. chopped apples
1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans

Mix all together. Batter will be very stiff... almost no batter.
Put into sprayed 9 x 13 pan and bake about 45 minutes at 350 degrees until cake comes away from the sides. Cake will be very moist. Serve with brown sugar sauce and whipped cream.


Ma's Brown Sugar Sauce
1 c. brown sugar
6T. butter
2 T. flour
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. burnt sugar flavoring
1 c. water

Using a whisk, cook all together until it comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute.


or this sauce


Ma's Caramel Sauce
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla

Whisk together. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute




I have posted this before, but Autumn calls out for Tradition...

oh, wait! There was this one time this cake was a disaster! When I was making it for my friend's birthday last November... It slipped off a table... Shall we ever get to have birthday and holiday and simply no-reason get-togethers again? I think yes! We shall!







----------------------

I made a little gift journal for a friend's birthday. 






--------------------------
I am sharing a link to a fun little Halloween journal creation. I really enjoy this artist from Los Angeles... Her imagination and creativity combined to make this a favorite watch for me. 

Video Link







Whimsy and Hugs!

6 comments:

Rajani Rehana said...

Fabulous blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

NanaDiana said...

I love the gift you made but I love that recipe even more! I saved it to my files and will try it for my family. xo Diana

Martha said...

The recipe sounds delicious and the journal you made is gorgeous!

Ginny Hartzler said...

The journal is wonderful! I bet the smell of this cake brings back your memories so strongly. Your Grandma sounds like she was a best friend to all, what a wonderful woman she was!

Miss Merry said...

Oh my! The cake on the floor is devastating! And that beautiful dish, too!!!