Thursday, October 22, 2020

Top o' the Mornin'




When this greets me every day as I reach out for the mail, I am grateful for the Indiana sugar maple sapling that my mother brought from a visit to our family there in the mid 50's. She always said she held it in her lap in a pork 'n bean can, a little hopeful transplant from her uncle's farm in Centerpoint. I can remember the dedication to watering it often for the first few years. Mom and Dad reassured each other about how slowly these trees grow. They looked at me and laughed they had evidently planted that dream for me... Well, 60 years later... thank you... the true measure of paying it forward I guess.


What a fast month! I am having so much fun doing this and that! My cat is a little stick-tight because she is cold and always hungry... In the summer she is my son's cat. Every year, every season--- one of us is chosen for total affection, and the other reels with the rejection... Too funny.


I have been journaling and planning and generally re-making the world around us... on paper. It is safe to say my nerves (along with most people's)  are quite jagged at times, so this sort of thing helps me stay grounded and sassy.  We watch too much crime/FBI television for a good night's sleep any more. Right now we are alternating between The Black List with James Spader and Criminal Minds (we had never watched either series) ... So there is a reason why I scream like a little girl every time my son tries to scare me!!!  (a daily treat of his!)-----  I am looking forward to some predictable, syrup-sweet Hallmark movies...  I will watch those without him as I have the evenings to myself usually. He enjoys most nights online with a group of coworkers and friends... 



I am nearing the shores of a finish of that Mayflower cross stitch ordeal. I am glad because it has been a journey. The history classes didn't elaborate on the sadder facts of that voyage and experience, did they? This  second chart shows the survivors of the initial launch to that celebrated feast... So many in gray who did not survive! 



My grandfather's barn a few years ago. Now I need to have it removed... There is such a difference in living on a farm (my son and I)  and being a farmer (my parents and grandparents).... It doesn't help that both of us have health stuff constantly chronically eating away at our lives... However, I love this photo stolen from a morning as I headed to school my last year. I have mentioned before I was a few minutes late for hall duty this day because I stopped to capture the sun's halo behind this old cavern of childhood mystery and wonder. They sure didn't need me as much as my grandfather's barn had! Four teachers and an administrator were doing fine watching a corridor that didn't allow students in it! However--- holy cats! My principal did not appreciate the truth one bit... She was not very enchanted with me ... or my barn! lol


I see a little hint of snow in next week's weather... I love cozying up in my own blankets. This colorway was called red velvet cake... Now that sounds really good, too!


I spoke to my potential trick or treaters and we decided not to participate this year. I think that is the best decision although no trick or treaters is a big, fat BUMMER! I  think that and keto will keep any candy from this house... Obviously that would be a good choice... 
Have a good week!





Whimsy and Hugs!

4 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I really enjoyed your story about the sugar maple! Your barn photo is gorgeous!!

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful thing your parents did to plant and nurture that tree. Aren't you blessed to have it there?
I love all your bits and pieces of Fall and that is too funny about the cat 'choosing' one of you. Cats can be SO fickle! lol

We have really enjoyed watching Red Rock-an Irish police show. It is quite entertaining..if you are looking for something to watch this winter.

Have a blessed Thursday- xo Diana

Martha said...

I love the beautiful tree and the barn photo. I agree that journaling and planning helps. One f my kitties switches who her person is too, so funny! Have a great weekend :)

Miss Merry said...

What a lovely view of the sugar maple! And I love the story. it must be the season for barns coming down. My childhood friend's daughter just had to take theirs down. She had a photo session with her small children in front of it before it came down.