Monday, April 20, 2020

Just cattin' around. . .

Whimsy and Hugs!



Good morning! I have been in my glory, cutting and glueing... finishing my gift book for a friend. It has turned into what my gramma called a "John Richard." I have no idea why she chose those names for something hard. My dad called the exact same thing a "John Leroy." but my dear mama called it (and sometimes me) a cat's ankle. Back to the book, it turns out I am just pitiful at the front-back concept of leaving a "gutter" or center space for the spiral binder. All my years in Journalism, layout, and yearbook, I had a layout paper or template on the computer... Duh.... it is just space it right on the front and space it left on the back... And I won't go into the mechanics of actually punching uniform holes..... Almost ready for that although my practice runs were pitiful... The book is fabulous, though, with the sweetest stories. She will love it!


We are still having a fortunate response to this crisis. However, the news out there in the world is so unhappy. So much for warmer weather! We got a few flurries of snow and a hard freeze last week. 


Did you ever dress up cats? My sister/cousin and I really did that often. I loved an old tomcat named Blackie Junior so much. He looked especially fine in a little blue and white sprig dress with puffed sleeves my gramma had made for my Betsy Wetsy doll...  Gramma was a little miffed I had put a cat in her handiwork masterpiece, but I thought my actions had really elevated the importance of the dress. Blackie Junior, it turned out, was NOT impressed. Neither were my mom nor the Avon lady when I told them their Avon perfume had taken the hair off my cats in a skunky little stripe down the tailbones,


I hope all is well in your family and circle of loved ones. I hear so much stress and often tears from those I talk to on the phone. I hope that is not the case with you. I try to focus on the present or the happy past. I know most psychologists say to look to the future, so I do try to think ahead now and then.  My label has usually been the "Fix-it Fox." My dad was the same... always trying to fix stuff, situations, people (who really shouldn't be on my list at all) and most of all, fixing me... I have a couple pictures of my dad out where I can see them. They make me smile. Have a good day and take good care!

3 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Sounds like you are weathering the storm Gayle! Our schools announced they will remain closed for the rest of the school year. However, some businesses are opening back up with guidelines. So - starting next week we will have two grandchildren returning to our house (we have only waved at windows since March 10. AND I will begin first grade homeschool on the oldest tablet. I hope I can help with first grade math. I am not sure.

Ginny Hartzler said...

OH my gosh! These photos of your kitty are so adorable!! And the pictures as well; they look like postcards. We are really cat people, and have six during our marriage. We are down to one now, Simba. What a funny story about the perfume and dressing up your cats. I think I will not be buying any Avon perfume!

NanaDiana said...

I am sure your friend is going to love her book, Gayla...I am sure it is wonderful.
I used to dress my cat, Felicia, up in doll clothes, too. She was a willing participant and would even hold a doll bottle filled with milk up with her paws when I held her on her back. She was a great cat!!! xo Diana