Sunday, April 5, 2020

A Garden of Memories

"Nobody can take away that memory!"
"I will never forget..."
"I will always see that time..."
"Memories are forever."
"A lifetime of memories..."



Today's post will be short and bitter-sweet. I am caught up in a project of creating a memory journal for a dear friend. I asked for the people she has known in her life to write a special little memory of a fun time spent with her. I sent out the notes to over a hundred on Facebook (and Facebook kindly (!) suspended my account for what they perceived as advertising. I am back in business now, though).

I have been getting the sweetest notes, and I am adding photos from Facebook accounts, maiden names, etc.

I will fashion it all into a cheerful, poppy-red journal for a lady who is living all alone in this scary time... she doesn't need stuff... she needs happy memories. Don't we all?




The rise of memory-related issues and illnesses is so sad.  From the CDC:

It is estimated that 5.8 million Americans aged 65 and older have Alzheimer's today, or about one new case every 65 seconds. The number will triple to around 14 million by 2050. LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH IN THE U.S.



My dream is she will enjoy and remember the good times we've shared for many years to come... and this little book will give her joy.









Whimsy and Hugs!

2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are doing such a wonderful thing! My grandmother had Alzheimer's, and it was just awful. I hope your friend's book will save her from many confusing times. It is beautiful and perfect. A gift of memory, we are lost without it. We ARE our memories.

Cayden Cherry said...

I appreciate you sharing this