Thursday, March 19, 2020

There is nothing wrong with kids today!


Years and... well, years ago I started teaching in 1975. Since then I cannot tell you how many times I have heard and read really hurtful comments about "kids today." In fact, some of the first "kids" I taught have grown up and had grandchildren of their own. They, too, have occasionally fallen into the habit of identifying and generalizing the flaws of each generation's "kids."
Well, throughout it all, I have pretty much maintained the opinion, "There's nothing wrong with kids today." I loved ALL my students all the time. (Not to say I always acted like it... but I did. I realize I have complained at times, too... Don't think I feel in the least above all that.)
Now it strikes me this pandemic shows the strength and beauty of "these kids." (and all my kids fall into the population aged less than 65.)
I love older people. I always have. My grandparents and elders were the joy of my life as a teen. I think it is so beautiful to see today's younger generations love the very same way. Every newscast reiterates the statistic saying COVID-19 is relatively harmless to younger individuals but potentially deadly to those over 70. We could have experienced some kind of hard-hearted, shrug your shoulders, genocide as the younger majority just decided to take its chances and let the oldies fall where they may.. BUT THEY DIDN'T!!!! I am so grateful the younger generation, the one so very often criticized, has ----- without a blink-- decided to do these hard and unprofitable things, such as shutting down their businesses and closing out their plans and financial efforts, giving up their Senior Proms and scholarship opportunities, turning their backs on graduation and life as they know it. They do this without the benefit of perspective often earned in later years... --- in order to stop the disease that is basically targeting their elders... If that isn't stepping up, then I don't know what it will take...  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH KIDS TODAY!


Whimsy and Hugs!

1 comment:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your realization seems to be one of the small blessings in this awful time.