Sunday, December 15, 2019

Holiday Howdee from the Wild Prairie!

These low-light days and big-moon nights are just perfect for wild winds to tease my cat to distraction. She thinks every sound from outside means trouble. Particularly motors. Oh, how she hates motors... from the UPS truck to our farm renter and his fall fertilizer tractor... the propane truck and the highway trucks in granny low, as my dad called it.



My son had such a good idea this week. We decided to try to make beef jerky. What a fun mess! We assembled the marinade ingredients and he slithered the meat... sirloin steaks this time. The whole process from start to finish occupied the course of two days. We gave it a 6 or 7 out of 10 star rating and chalked up some learning points. My oven's low is 170 degrees, just about perfect. We dried it for about 5 hours.


I usually have about 8 or 9 little get-togethers to exchange gifts..  By my calculations, might be in a pinch! 



Have you chosen a word of the year for 2020? I have not settled in on one. 2019's word was "fabulous." That was a fun word, Darlings... Indeed!



We marinated a lovely round steak for today and a good-sized brisket (which I just took out of the crock pot to cool, slice, and sauce for tomorrow. Our house smells so yummy! I used to stress over brisket but the slow cooker or the instant pot and half sized cuts have eliminated all that. I watch a show on Amazon called The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I would LOVE to have her brisket recipe!


My job list still includes some more journals to make and finish, a couple crochet projects, any baking I can allow, and all the wrapping and cards. Nope. I sure started early enough, I made some gifts in January last year. I guess it's classic Aesop Tortoise/Hare... I am loving my Advent and Luke Devotional...


Tomorrow we're supposed to have more snow. With the new telecommute policy at my son's workplace, he can stay at home on slick days. Tonight was his Christmas party, but he just chose to stay home and watch some movies and make jerky even though I had bought him some new clothes to wear...



What are your favorite traditions of Christmas? I would love to listen to them. 


Merry Christmas!!

Wouldn't it be fun to see you at my table?



Whimsy and Hugs!




3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love all of these retro pictures! Oh my word, paper dolls used to be my very favorite to play with. I had dozens of sets, even including an "I Love Lucy" one. I would cut and play with them for hours! I guess they don't even make them anymore. I'm sure the kids today would be bored to death with them. We love Little House On The Prairie.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I love the pictures in your post, and the one of the paper dolls brought back many happy memories. I wonder if kids today play with them anymore. And how did you get that picture of the cat standing next to that huge pile of snow?

Gayla said...

I don't know if kids play with paper dolls. Along about the early 60's they created color forms, a paper doll with vinyl coatings that stuck/clung to vinyl clothes. I begged for them even though Mom told me I was too old. I got them but... lol! I was too old to play with them. The cat in the snow picture was on Facebook. So cute!