Monday, September 16, 2019

Fall cleaning

What is happening in your corner of the world? Do you remember cleaning every Fall and Spring? I know a lot of you still do that. It was always really a fun time because Gramma either came here every day or we went over to her house. Either way the three of us didn't stop until every room in both houses had been cleaned from floor to ceiling. At Gramma's we even took up the carpet tacks and hauled her old rug out to beat it over a fence. We put down new newspapers and sprinkled a package of my grandfather's Beechnut chewing tobacco around before putting the carpet on top... Supposedly the tobacco was a deterrent to moth millers... My grandfather always went through the house yelling, "Boooo hoooo hoooo hoooo.!!!!" He was joking about the waste of a good pack of tobacco.


I was Mrs. Jones and Mom was Mrs. Smith. Gramma was Mrs. Brown.  I am not sure why it was important to change our names, but I think we might have been the maids coming to clean. Winters brought deep ash and soot. Summers brought enormous amounts of dust fogging in those delicious open windows and propelled through the house by Emerson fans. Dirt didn't stand a chance. 


Today little Mrs. Jones played the little red hen and cleaned half a bedroom all.... by..... herself.....

 Not as much fun but still one of my favorite things to do... I left the windows for another day (maybe when my Amish friends return). 



So... tomorrow is another day. Maybe I will be Mrs. Jones... and maybe I will be my own bad self and watch YouTube videos... lol



Either way, I am sure we will enjoy another day of warm weather... One good thing. Mrs. Jones has AC... Yay!

3 comments:

Miss Merry said...

I remember those days! We used to take every thing out of every closet and hang it outside on the clothesline. I shudder to think about the last time some of our closets were emptied.

1/2 a room means you only have half to go! Good for you. Thank goodness we are blessed with a.c.

Ginny Hartzler said...

You have a lovely house, and I have enjoyed seeing it. All of this must have been to put some fun in cleaning. So interesting about the chewing tobacco and rugs!

Mari said...

What fun memories! I like how you worked together and made cleaning fun.
I had the day off today and did some cleaning too, but not as heavy duty as you did!