Wednesday, January 23, 2019

My Funny Valentine Hit Parade




I decided to take a look at past decor... I am just not feeling the vibe to decorate for Valentine's Day. I live with the most verbal Valentine-Hater in the Universe... My son just despises the whole thing. I guess as a guy he is just disgusted... for several good reasons. I am pretty sure that has zero to do with my general disinterest. I don't hate the day...  I just can't find anything...  Nothing. 




So here are a few shots of Valentines through the years at this house. I have a couple recipes, a few tablescapes. I evidently didn't take pictures or can't find them of some years.Maybe these will provide the needed  kickinthepants inspiration for tomorrow to be a decorating frenzy.  Honestly I would settle for some cherry muffins and some cleaning...    





German Chocolate Bars (actually another variation of Ooey Gooey Cakes)

Mix together:
2 eggs
1 pkg. German Chocolate cake mix
1 stick butter

Pat into 9 x 13 pan.

Sprinkle over top of this:
1/2 c. toasted cocoanut
1/2 c. toasted pecans
1 pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Top layer: Mix together

1 stick melted butter
1 pkg. 8 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
2 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla

Spread over top and bake at 350 until lightly brown (about 50 minutes).

Let cool and YUM-O





Red Pepper Cheese Ball

2 softened 8 oz. pkg. Philly Cream Cheese
1/4 c. softened butter
2-3 c. grated Cheddar or American Cheese
1 bunch minced green scallions or green onions
1 tsp. minced garlic (I use the kind in the jar with olive oil)
1/2 + c. chopped roasted red bell pepper from jar or freshly roasted
1/2 jar Harry and David Pepper 'n Onion relish (I think there are substitutes out there, as well... Just a red pepper relish with a sweet hot flavor... Could add a little sugar or a little dash of cayenne if your relish isn't cooperating... Nothing beats Harry and David, though, in my opinion)
1/2+ c. chopped pecans
dash of green parsley flakes

Reserve about 3/4 c. cheese, the parsley, and the chopped pecans. Mix other ingredients well (I use my hands). Form a sloppy ball and roll first in cheese, then in nuts. Sprinkle with parsley... Chill at least two hours and enjoy... Keeps tightly covered for at least a week (so they say....)











Russian Tea Cakes 

I loved making these in the night to surprise my mom. They are her favorite cookie ever. 


Makes about 4 dozen

1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup pecans, toasted and finely ground


Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until well blended. Beat in flour, then nuts. Divide dough in half; form each half into ball. Wrap separately in plastic; chill until cold, about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Set remaining 1 and 1/2 c. powdered sugar aside.
Working with half of chilled dough, roll dough by 2 teaspoonfuls between palms into balls. Arrange balls on heavy large baking sheet, spacing 1/2 inch apart. Bake cookies until golden brown on bottom and just pale golden on top, about 18 minutes. Cool cookies 5 minutes on baking sheet. Gently toss warm cookies in cinnamon sugar to coat completely. Transfer coated cookies to rack and cool completely. Repeat procedure with remaining half of dough. (Cookies can be prepared 2 days ahead. 
Sift remaining powdered sugar over cookies, if desired, just before serving.



SWEET TOMATOES' CHERRY-NUT MUFFINS
3½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole-wheat flour (I didn't have this, so I used all-purpose)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 cups reduced-fat buttermilk (I made mine with 1 tsp. vinegar per cup of milk.)
11/8 cups granulated sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 (14.5-ounce) can tart cherries, drained ( I used frozen sweet cherries. They were huge and awesome!)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (I added this.)


I made these for a party the day our sewer froze... What a fiasco...



I dunno, friends. This post really didn't do much for me. Lol... As I contemplate February 14th, I keep smiling. At least this is not an important problem!!!


Such big changes around here. Life is change. Create good changes because Baby, nothing stays the same. 


Home made cards and doll clothes.


I see a lot of regular decor that has long since met with my fickle passion for change.... 



And I see a few years back when Mom was merely 90... that she sure did dust and spiff up her home. 


Outside the highway trucks are scraping ice and braving another wintry night. Sleet has just started slamming our windows. Everyone hopes the electricity stays on. 


Enjoy the week... I have been puttering and crocheting, journaling, and napping...


If YOU were the tote with these cute heart plates, where would you be?


I am guessing they are right in with the pumpkins....  Was that your guess? Of course not. You don't live in wonky town with me...  


1 comment:

Miss Merry said...

Since I just finished taking down Christmas yesterday, I am not sure I am ready to start Valentine either. Your photos are gorgeous!