Sunday, October 28, 2018

"Tis Nigh

Three days of beautiful October remain... I cannot believe what speed these past 28 have shown.



Today, so windy and chilled, despite intense sunshine. I searched my mind to create  "Autumn Comfort Casserole." I started with the famous Tater Tot . Then I  had to tweak to accommodate my grocery shelf.

Autumn Comfort Casserole

Brown and crumble, drain if needed:

1 1/2 # hamburger
1 small chopped onion
1 t. minced garlic
salt and pepper

Add in:
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1-2 cans whole milk

------

In Lightly oiled, deep 13 x 9 casserole



Chop in small cubes (O'brien hash brown style) 3-4 large potatoes (wash and leave skins on)
drain 2 cans green beans, 1 can corn

Layer:

 half potatoes
half pkg. dry ranch dressing mix
half vegetables
half meat mixture

Repeat

Top with 1-1/2 c. shredded cheese

Bake at 360 degrees for 60 minutes



It was good! I made home made drop biscuits (my favorite recipe here) and marinated tomatoes...  Finally I got out my turkey flatware. (Plymouth pattern) I bought it on Pfaltzgraff a couple years ago, and .... I have YET to have one guest notice how utterly darling and seasonally satisfying my knives and forks are!!!!  Ah.... how funny...







I have to get some preparation for my hoped-for trick-or-treaters. Last year we had only one family! I live way out of town, and all my mother's carefully cultivated little masqueraders have grown up. 

Have a frightfully spooky but fun week. I am going to watch a couple from my fave Halloween movies this week: Hocus Pocus (I started this one  last night--- actually for the first time ever. P.S... last time, too. Why didn't anybody ever say it was so sad?) Practical Magic, The Three Lives of Thomasina, Bell, Book, and Candle, The Good Witch, Ladyhawke, E.T., Ghost Busters, You've Got Mail,  The Crucible, and  It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown...   As we see, I have nothing scary in my stash... (except for The Crucible)   Then it's on to the beautiful Harvest season. Time to "talk turkey." 

No comments: