Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Driving Through

Oh, it's almost showtime... Since our weather dipped to 25 degrees, we knew our trees would begin their fiery dance with the bright palette of Autumn. I think I house the secret fear that each year might be the one that sees the leaves tumble to the earth, green and unfulfilled... but I am always "pretty sure" I can count on Missouri in the Fall.... So out we go....  I have a friend who loves to go with me on drives, no matter the season. 



We have hit the roads and parks two days this week, and it is only Tuesday! She doesn't enjoy driving any more, so she is a passenger through time. We've been friends for 38 years... quite a few memories slip in among the leaves. 



I cannot help remembering other autumn rides with my dear Mama. Oh, how she loved to get in my car, go through Amish country, and see the countryside. I remember reading once that someone felt she missed her loved ones most at the cusp of a new season... I'm not sure, but possibly it does spark more longing. It is hard to say because I honestly miss my parents so much I think I might just break down and "beller" like a "bawl-baby."  (Mom's words, of course.) I don't go around telling this because I am not the only person who has lost a loved one. 



I have plenty to be glad about, and life offered me a good long journey with my dad and an even longer, more intensive walk with Mama. I am grateful. I just honestly wish for them to slip back into our daily round and work up their collections and take back their home.... and ... well, how silly...!!!



I belong to an awesome planner group called Planner Perfect. Its motto is to write a better story. I truly believe in the power of positive thought and taking thoughts captive as mentioned in the Bible. Therefore, I honestly don't allow my poor little mind out to wander too far alone. I just let it gaze out the window at melancholy sunsets for a little while each day. That's enough.


I think the trips through the countryside are fun early like this because each time we spot  a vivid tree, it's really a show stopper.  The two pictures below are my friend's favorite house, front and back views. We have to drive by every time and slow down or stop... She loves everything about this house from the porch decorations to the flags to the back yard pool...  Sometimes she spouts out silliness like.... "Where could I find me a husband who would buy me this house?" Where indeed? At the Husband Shop, no doubt... I think this house is pretty, but... she takes the prize for wishing...



It is grand, though. Isn't it?



This house looks like more work than I could do.... I have a ton of things to do already... and it seems as if the main time I'm inspired to do them is late at night.... when I secretly know I am not gonna haul my "Parky carcass" out of bed to work on anything... except maybe getting a snack or a glass of ice water if I am feeling especially kind to myself. It is the ultimate mid night pleasure to wake up thirsty to a sippy cup (aka metal travel thermos) filled with icy water. I think I am the Queen of England or something if I have that beside my pillow and don't have to gulp down hot, stale Diet Coke from a warm can left sitting in the dark....  Geez Louise, this post is filled with too much information! 



  
Not that I can get out of bed without WW3 anyway. My cat likes to nail down my covers on the side of the bed I get out.... She is so much asleep that I have to shake her like the dickens to get her to move...  I think the secret word is "cat chow." She will move for that only... or..."Want some cheese?" That's too funny... I ain't a gonna holler that at 3 a.m..... I hate to lie to her, ya know?



She has had a rough week. I don't think she likes it when everybody is gone. She takes after me and honestly seems to be a stress eater. If she's alone any length of time, her bowl is empty... Or perhaps she has guests come over? I sure don't have a kitty cam. The renter had his huge combine in to harvest his soybeans on the 50 acres he rents from me. Callie hates "motors" of all kinds.



Well. I hope you have an Autumn to remember with joy... both this year and from your past... 



I saw a quote this week that said, "If you don't have time to do what's important, stop doing the things that aren't."  Great advice... We all have days we like to revisit from our past. May we write the stories that create more of these in our present.   I am, as always, "hoping for the best." Today was one of those... 


Looking forward... looking back. Thanks for reading my blog. 

2 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Beautiful drive, Gayla. My family, gramma, great aunt, mom, loved drives in the country, too. Unfortunately I think our northern Ohio trees are going straight from green to brown this year.

NanaDiana said...

We were on the same channel for posting! Mine is all about the bittersweetness of life...and looking back but then being able to move forward, too. I think this time of year brings out the melancholy in a lot of us. xo Diana