Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Wearin' o' the Green

I decided to begin Spring cleaning. What a process! It is hard to see all the dust and clutter in the coziness of winter. But let us have one glorious, sunshiny afternoon and the jig's up. I kinda like that anvil in the face (Wile E. Coyote style) when I look at my exhausted butter cream Christmas tree and rescue him for a well-deserved rest after a full SIX MONTHS of service... What was I thinking to leave it out so long??????



My dear, bedraggled little tree limped to the "plunder room," as I affectionately call my dad's bedroom. I heard that old butter cream mumbling weakly something about wasn't he going to be an Easter tree (as well as Halloween, Autumn, Christmas and Valentine).... ?   .... but I just said no!


This year my kitchen has become an Irish haven. Most people find it hard to believe I don't own any green dishes... yet. I am good with that. I do want to find my lovely, green Depression plates in the Adam pattern, though. Kind of afraid they are at my son's house...  (translation: not this year).



I looked back through this blog and discovered how little the scope of my posts has become in comparison to the past. I didn't really seem to realize when my life became narrow, but I recognized it as I flipped back a few short years ago.  I watch a lot of YouTube videos with limited scope so I guess that just translated that it was okay to just go on this way, but I am promising myself to stretch out a bit this year and do more exploring and day trips and excursions. You know that means I will be taking you with me when I do...


My life and my blog reflect the fact I last left this cozy house on December 22. I won't call my existence stagnant because I have had far too much fun, and I do keep stirring the pot by changing things up for the seasons, using different sets of china, altering my menus and rearranging furniture. But how does it happen that I find myself still sitting here as I did the last year I took care of my mom? Then I could not leave, but now???  I online shop till I drop, but the last time I was in a grocery store was December 15, 2015. And not that it matters to anyone, but the last time I was in Wal-Mart was November or early December of 2013. (Yet their doors have remarkably stayed open.)



Tonight I am listening to my very favorite "music," gentle rain pouring on our roof. Mid-Missouri has been in the midst of the dryest winter, but creeks, farmlands and nature are at last getting a chilly drink. 44 degrees and rain, according to Alexa. That's about how I like my root beer!



Since it's only 28 days until spring, I will leave you with my very favorite Carrot Cake recipe. I posted it a few years ago, so here is the link and a picture of that cake. Moist and just about perfect for a crowd, this cake goes through a lot of ingredients, but it is worth it. The original was posted online as Grampa Sam's Carrot Cake. I would love a piece of it with hot Irish Breakfast tea at dawn tomorrow. But... not yet.


Whimsy and Hugs!

4 comments:

NanaDiana said...

It is funny how we shift in and out of blogging -sometimes with full focus on something and other times we paint a picture with a broader brush.

That carrot cake looks delicious...and lo-cal I am sure! lol xo Diana

Miss Merry said...

I was homebound during January due to hand surgery. I kinda liked It! I may just declare January as a permanent staycation! Somehow today is almost 70 degrees in Northern Ohio and I went out wirh friends I have not visited since summer. I feel like I need to schedule some day trips before I become that crazy recluse lady.

Gayla said...

Miss Merry, I don't find how I can email you through your blog, but thanks! I hope your hand is recovering nicely.

From My Country Sunrise said...

Everything looks so festive~I love it all~~Keep warm this slick day ♥♥ Love and hugs to you