Wednesday, February 14, 2018

The Sweetest Thing


Morning breaks in a personal Valentine, and our house is filled with the delicious aroma of chocolate chip cookies. I am sending a big, heart-shaped bowl of cookies with my son for his co-workers to enjoy. His breakfast eggs were served in a little, heart ceramic bowl. Seasonal living really helps me as I continue the traditions my mother planted in my heart. As destiny has it, my life is not shared with a husband or local beau, so Valentine's Day is much more of a Sweetest Day. But I love it...  I can shut my eyes and taste the sugar cookies iced in pink with cinnamon red-hots studding each heart. My grandmother made these every year, and I carefully nibbled right up to the red-hot to save it for that last bite-supreme. I am looking forward to a movie and possibly some barbecue when my son gets off work.


Last night some dear friends came to have a little supper. My friends brought delicious bread sticks, crisp salads, chicken wings and crab ran-goon!!! Lots of laughter, treats for the soul.



I created a little Valentine stack with chocolate and pink or red on red choices. Each little section has a tiny treat inside. 




My sister/cousin came down super early for coffee on Tuesday,  bringing pretty valentines, cheerful tulips, and a darling red-work wall hanging. I dearly love a gift that is hand made.




A dear friend also visited Monday night and brought such treats for my laundry room. She brought wonderful scented sachets for the dryer, lavendar detergent and hand soap. Stay tuned for a post about country laundry.






Shh! Callie the Valentine cat dreams of a field full of catnip. She is getting a fire-red cardinal toy that chirps when she hits it!!!


I changed out the china in this cabinet. Dessert Rose Franciscan china from my grandmother, compotes in lead crystal from my great-grandmother. Covered tureens from Mama  and tiny pip berries and an angel from my collections.




A few years ago my Sweetie sent this cute Snowcatcher  music box. I love to hear it this time of year. We are warming up, but still Missouri needs rain or snow. It is really dry. 

                                                                                                                                                                                        







Well, enjoy the day! Let me know in the comments how you spend the Sweetest Day.








Whimsy and Hugs!

2 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Your China cabinet is beautiful. Happy Galentines Day. It is all about the girls. Guys just try to make the best of it. I did get the bestest Valentine from a 5 year old.

Gail said...

Beautiful ! Your writing and your home !!!!!!
My motto for now is: "Wherever you are, be there." I am going to slow down and enjoy the simple things of life, like you do. You are definitely "being there". My Bible study, "Wonderstruck" by Margaret Feinberg is about becoming more aware of God's presence. We started by looking for God's handiwork in nature. Bless you dear friend.