Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Mom's Favorite

What a nice Easter.  Even though we didn't have a lot of people around our table (just we three), it was a perfectly lovely Easter Sunday.  I had visited with some friends on Saturday, and that is always a nice feeling.  Reconnecting is one of the things I truly look forward to doing.  On the down side, Mom had a really hard fall in the bathroom while I was gone.  My son raced over to help her, was able to pick her up and wait with her a bit before she dismissed him.  She has a lot of bruises on her arms, and she thinks she hurt all ten toes, her hips... She has a big bump on her forehead...  Just hurt all over.

So, I didn't get around to making her favorite cookies (my plan for her main Easter gift) until dawn time on Sunday.  With her in the next room cuddling under her favorite, warm coverlet, I made these Mexican Wedding Cake Cookies and tinned them up to go with the felted eggs I made during the blizzards, and  a little Jim Shore carved ducklet.  My son's basket was filled with Paleo Bars, Beef Jerky, one little Reese's egg, and a video game.  Mom gave me an Easter tee shirt (early) and a pretty pink bejeweled wind chime angel.


(You can put little Hershey's Kisses inside the ball for the cookies shown here.  I didn't because Mom likes the pecan flavor better than chocolate! --  Betty Crocker recipe and photo. )

Mexican Wedding Cakes


1/2
cup powdered sugar
1
cups butter or margarine, softened
2
teaspoons vanilla
2
cups  flour
1
cup finely chopped nuts
1/2
teaspoon salt
Additional powdered sugar
  1. Heat oven to 400°F. In large bowl, mix 1 cup powdered sugar, the butter and vanilla. Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together.
  2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
  3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Roll in additional powdered sugar while warm. Cool completely on wire rack, about 30 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar again.
Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies   

4 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Gayla- I remember having those years and and I kind of forgot about them. I am saving this recipe to try at some point- thanks- xo Diana

Becky K. said...

Wow, glad your mom is ok after that fall. So good your son was available to help her.

The cookies look so delicious. I would, of course, go for the ones with the chocolate...but that is my downfall. lol

Have a blessed day. Hope your mother's bruises heal quickly.

Gayla said...

I think you will love it. They look like Spring. Although Mom calls them Snowballs.

Gayla said...

Thank you. She is doing okay. She'shaving a little slice of cherry pie right now. yum! :-)