Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Turning One Thousand Wants.....into One Thousand Thanks.....

Okay, did you notice? I was up literally all night with the new blog look. I couldn't get the header, the letters, anything right! It would get worse.... And vanish... I would sit there with my laptop and get frustrated, exhausted... Decide to give up until morning.... But I couldn't. Sleep wouldn't come. So I turned back to the workd of cropping and saving and trying to sort out larger columns and weird instances of text overlapping.... I saw the sun race across the soybeans in front of Mom's home, and the cheerful birds began their chorus. At five o'clock I clicked save and slept like a wintery bear until nine thirty....

 As I went to bed, my grumpy, miserable, old shell promised herself she would make a list of things she wanted God to do.... I would make that list, I decided, as soon as I woke up..... Can you imagine how tired and stunted this old brain had to be to decide THAT was my course of action? While I know God delights in the prayers of his children, these swirling desires weren't all for his glory. No. They were for my comfort, for my needs, for me and mine... I can blame how tired I'd become if I wish because I was that kind of tired where a permanent whine etches a snurly frown on the face, mind, and spirit....

 But truthfully, today as I was reading Ann Voskamp's blog and getting ready to write on my thousand blessings, it struck me. I may ask God for each and every one of the requests I had in my heart last night this morning. But before that I want with all my heart to shower his ears with thanksgiving for oh, so abundant blessings, grace, and love. I'm aware that when we have an epiphany, it is too bad everyone else in our world hasn't had one, too..... Uncharacteristic cheer often meets with skepticism, resentment for yesterday's attitude, and an absence of enthusiasm for the joy I'm feeling. However, I am grateful for the clear chord I heards this afternoon. Count. Count my blessings. Be grateful. Give thanks. And make a different list.

2 comments:

Ricki Treleaven said...

What a great idea for a list! I need to make one.

Ricki Treleaven said...

Oh, and I love your blog's makeover!