Sunday, September 25, 2011

Saturday's Drive

 Friday was mid-term for the first quarter.  Five days of school, with all its scurrying, left me ready to grab Mom and a dear friend to head for peaceful territory.  We had lunch in our usual restaurant, filled with people on their way to the mall, to games, to hunting haunts....  and we drove through Clark Amish territory. 
 Our first stop is usually a peaceful, quiet little grocery store, but today it was bustling with the advent of an Amish auction.  Had we known, we could have had our lunch at their Amish food stand..  We noticed pie at 85 cents a slice, a hot dog for 89 cents, a cheeseburger for a dollar, and popcorn for a quarter...  However, we had enjoyed a great lunch and had to decline all these goodies.  Mom did buy a pecan and a peach pie for the freezer...  She believes in the saying:  "Pie fixes everything!"  I opted for little individual pies for our lunch today and for some homemade wheat bread and rolls...  A huge jar of million dollar pickles and a few pumpkins finished our shopping....
 The countryside suddenly tinted by autumn seemed more beautiful than usual, and we saw more children than we had ever noticed... I liked to see the little girls in their headscarves and tiny bonnets and the boys (and girls) in bare feet...  No pictures, of course, with my Canon, but hundreds of memory snaps for my soul...  I so admire the Amish for their industry and their smiles...  just what my spirit needed to jar me into action!
 Try as I might, I couldn't convince Mom to get over there by these corn shocks and let me take a picture of her for our Thanksgiving cards...  She just won't play that game!  Aren't they perfect?



Midnight found me finishing Autumn decorating upstairs, doing some laundry from "Mt. Washmore" (as Flylady calls it), and watching Donna Decorates Dallas...  (can you say bling?) on HGTV...  Today our kids are coming for chili...  The first day of autumn, welcomed by a spirit thirsty for brisk mornings and tinted trees, arrived at last...  All's well in my world.

5 comments:

Latane Barton said...

I love those shocks of corn. Brings back memories of my childhood. Thanks for such great pictures.

Becky K. said...

Beautiful.....I love your photos of the corn. So Autumnal.
Million Dollar pickles? I've not heard of those.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Wow, those are some corn stalks...beautiful pics!

Lisa Pogue said...

I love these pics!! My aunt and uncle used to tell directions to their home by the "tepees". I've had the flu, but getting in the mood to get out more and your pics have done the trip. I hope to do some little road trip like this coming up soon!!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Lovely photos of Amish Country, Gayla! Getting caught-up on your blog!