Friday, July 8, 2011

Porch Views

 Sitting on the porch in mid-day can be one of those summer pleasures a person just has to have...  Today was a misty, semi-warm day with a stiff breeze:  almost perfection!  I called out to Mom that we needed to do some expert porch sitting, so that we did.
 Right after our lovely holiday on Mom's front porch we washed the last two shelves in her china hutch.  That was a job well done, and I still have the fun of puttering around with the treasures to try to fit them back.  As I unpacked, I began to get a bit edgy.  I don't think it will all go back.  It reminded me of the auction we had for my dad's mother.  After she passed away and the children and grandchildren decided to have an auction, we spent several weeks taking turns and going through the house.  Night after night, the kids would fill the tables with items and choose keepsakes.  Even after that, my dad heard a man mutter, "No way did all this stuff come from just one house."  The buyer had wrongly assumed we had hauled items from another house to pad the estate sale.  No way.  My dad quickly set him straight...  People can edge in a lot of goodies over time....  a little here and an extra saucer there...
 If you spy something coming out of this iron kettle besides phlox, it isn't a snake or a lizard as it looks.  Although my heart skipped a beat this morning when I first saw it, the curvy tail is actually the collapsible handle to the iron cauldron...  That's a good one!
We ended our day with a drive, a little automobile-picnic at the lake with Taco Bell, and a night of American Pickers and Pawn Stars...  Relax, Sit Back...  and wonder why I didn't retire, huh?

4 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh we love Pawn Stars and American Pickers. Although I am always screaming...don't sell that!! I never could watch Cash in the Attic...it just made me sick to see what they got rid of and for the little bit of money.

Ricki Treleaven said...

THe view from your porch is so lovely. We love the show American Pickers. It is one of my husband's favorites!

Cherrie said...

I so enjoy your blog, you have a way of telling a story of an ordinary day.

Latane Barton said...

a perfect day. Love how you share those little ordinary moments and make them bigger than life.