Friday, December 31, 2010

There's always time... or is there?

Whew!  Our Mid-Missouri weather is taking us on a wild ride for the end of the year!  We woke to tornado watches and severe thunderstorms.  I took that opportunity to do something I really rarely do here at Mom's.  I crawled back into bed.  Dark.  Thunder.  Pelting rain.  Yeah, it was MY kind of heavenly morning....  The power was off for about three hours.   I just smiled....  that wonderful happy cozy smile of the very young...  (I was the only happy cozy one here, if you get my drift! haha..)

Then this afternoon we have had balmy sunshine, and now it is headed to the teens for the night...  Time and temperature phone is always busy, but I have the little app on my new HTC Desire...  What a phone!!!  It was a gift from Mom for Christmas, and when I learn how to run it, I think I can land aircraft with it!!!  Whoo!

Any New Year's parties or resolutions going on out there?  I think Mom and I are going to watch a movie, and my resolution is simple:  To be authentic.  If I am authentic and true to myself, I will not lie to myself and tell me that Christmas is a long way off when I should be getting ready.  I shall also not be lying about the bad fat/good fat thing, the time before grades are due, the upcoming holidays that march into my life and leave me scrambling and ill-prepared.  I will admit it when I think the bread is stale or the lamps were better off  "over there" than in their new places I argued so hotly to move them...  I will not pretend to like music I don't, won't act surprised when I'm not.  Now, I must be very careful about this:  I don't want to become one of those blunt old bossies that "speaks her mind" like Rachel Lynde in Anne of Green Gables...  but I do want to stand for what I think is true.  I have ALWAYS wavered for the sake of agreeableness... and even squandered a lie or two to simply avoid any revelation of my true feelings...

That sounds like a selfish resolution, probably.  But if I, at 56, don't finally stand up for some parts of my authentic soul, I fear I will forget what I ever stood for to begin with...  So, light the candles, put on the music (Celtic, if you please)...  and ring out the old year.  2011...  It looks weird on paper and sounds weird to the ear...  However, it is that year we are entering, and we might as well embrace it!  May it fill your hearts with joy as you and your beloveds make your way through it to the next.  Much love to all...

4 comments:

Becky K. said...

Authenticiy...I need to add that to a list of resolutions that I will talk to the ladies at Bible Study about on Monday night. What a wonderful goal to set before oneself.

Glad you are safe and sound.
Tornadoes are scary business!

Maggey and Jim said...

I hope I have the courage to do just that..Happy New Year to you..
Maggey

Susquehanna said...

Super posting.. Happy New Year~

Laurie - Lolo So Retro said...

Happy New Year! What a great resolution, I might add it to my list1

Laurie S.