Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fireworks. . .

So, what a beautiful night. We enjoyed our holiday this year with my son and his friends and his girlfriend. Lunch was the traditional All-American hotdogs, juicyburgers, homemade potato salad, baked beans, and nachos... I made some flag sugar cookies, which got "gobbled" too fast for the photographer to catch 'em. Spinner and then a trip to Moberly Lake to see their huge fireworks display. It was perfect! Mom and I found the best parking spot in the whole park, I think. We viewed each cascade over the water, framed by tall trees, and punctuated by the cries of little children scared to death! It caused my mind to consider this scene, possibly one I will etch in my memory forever.
My son's girlfriend has a little boy, seven, who adpoted the color green. Every time a volley exploded in any shade of green, he cheered and clapped.... He's a John Deere fan, so he transfers it right over to any situaion.
All over the country, America enacted this scene... picnics, busy families, and skies alight with sparkle and glory.
My camera, blessed with a fireworks setting, captured a few "blossoms" and missed quite a few... It was fun to time the snaps with the hiss, booms. and sprays of rainbow shimmers.
This was the first year in quite a few we didn't have our own home display. Mom said we didn't have any display to compare with this one, but there's something to be said for little hot hands, handling the loot in anticipation of darkness... My son used to order, and reorder the lineup to maximize the impact. I did the same when I was little. I have to think about my grandparents, then my parents... sitting there in sweaters during some really cold evenings.
Then one year we discovered all the parachutes had upside down American flags. We believed it was some kind of conspiracy.
Never to be forgotten was the year my Dad caught the whole firework sack on fire during the early part of the display. That fountain really sped up our joy that night.
I have seen displays at Disneyland, weddings, the Ozarks, and on television, but nothing compares to the fireworks shared with families and friends...
I really hope the spirit of the holiday is with you all...
Blessings, showers of blessings...

No comments: