Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ten Things I Learned From My Daddy

In honor of Father's Day, let me just list ten things I learned from my dad.. It will be hard to choose because I think more and more I am understanding what he taught me... and what I had yet to learn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Genuinely like people. Give them the benefit of the doubt and get to know them, and you'll understand more about what's going on with their actions and words.


2. Enjoy your work. A tinkering job is by far the greatest pastime in the universe... or a huge, stay-up-all night job can be as fun as a seven-day cruise!


3. Love Mom. He sure did. (AND he spoiled her rotten).


4. Adore my son. (Which I already did, but I so appreciate that grandparent-grandson thing they had going on.) So... take his side even when you aren't sure you are on it already. Paw-paw sure did.


5. Collect something, even if it's small, odd, inexpensive... maybe especially IF it's small, odd, inexpensive. His insulator/telephone collection is amazing. I am working carefully on restaurantware creamers... slowly from Ebay... only if they speak to me, -------and only if the price is right.


6. Sit on the porch. Look at your world, and "be."

7. Never tire of generosity. I struggle with some of these ideas. I love to be generous, but usually I hit a person or two that just rubs me raw the wrong way. Daddy always pushed through the resentment and gave of himself anyway.


8. Do. it. yourself. Well, that's a toughie because while he could and did... I struggle, but I try... and with varying results. I have a streak of "I don't care. Oh, well... Sigh.. Leave it until it's dire... Maybe someone else will swoop in and do it...." So I learned this, but I don't practice it well---yet.


9. Sneak chocolate.... or cheese.... or a "sody-coke" every day at least once. It doesn't matter if you NEED to sneak, but it's fun to do it anyway.


and 10... He taught me how much a person can miss their loved ones, and how it hits us when we least expect it, but to keep on with the day, the hour, the moment.... and don't let missing them with all your heart ruin anything for you or for your family---- if you can help it.


Happy Father's Day, Daddy... (I would rather have made you some spaghetti... )

6 comments:

Lisa Pogue said...

Gayla, this is wonderful!!!! All ten of them speak volumes! Funny, I believe today would've been my parents 41st anniversary. I'm almost afraid to confirm it. Time is astounding to me...

Megan said...

Oh, Gayla. I love this! So heartfelt. I'm in tears trying to type this! Your daddy is shining through you, I can see it. HUGS!

Becky K. said...

Your Daddy must have been a great man. I just know he was well respected in the circles he influenced!

candy said...

HI
I was blog hopping and came across your blog and thought Id say HI :)

Candy

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Wishing you a very Blessed week....m..

Anonymous said...

Hi Gayla, just catching up and wanted to say hello. I hope you and your mother are doing well and handling the radiation treatments ok. Always enjoy your posts - from the teenager geese to the familiar porch and driveway to father's day. Stay cool and enjoy the summer. Love ya, Ellen