Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Last Daze of Summer. . .

Well, although I could have spent the whole day at school getting ready for tomorrow, which is a teacher's workshop, I decided to take my Mom on a final daze trip.... and we went around the world, I think... (since gas is so cheap! haha..) We started off to the northeast to Kemp's Restaurant in Clarence. It serves wonderful, homemade plate lunches with delicious sides. We had roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean salad, pickled beets, homemade bread and butter, and cucumbers and onions. ... and don't forget the house wine of the South, sweet tea!!! Yum...
The restaurant features a gospel night every so often with a packed house. Local nursing homes bring their residents. Tonight was that night, and they were frying seventeen chickens... SEVENTEEN... wow...

This mansion is on the outskirts of Clarence, and I think it is owned by a pharmacist. Looks exciting, but this is actually a zoom picture, so it's closer than I've ever been. I would love to look out the top story... that little turret part.... but oh, it would be hard to clean, huh? I guess if a person has enough money to build a home like that, they have enough to hire a housekeeper.... I would need two! haha...
Then we went over to the West to Matt's Market in Bevier for fresh meat from his wonderful counter. He is such an upbeat young man.... Still happy to hear my phone call with a grocery order. He fills it, brings it out to the car... and as I said before, he calls us "girls." ---- Money can't buy that part of the transaction. I didn't get a picture of his store, but I will. Finally we ended the day driving south to Moberly, and we visited my favorite store,Randolph Mercantile. She has her autumn stuff out, and I got the cutest papier mache cat! Wait until I get her all set up, and I'll show you. Mom shopped in there, too... Sherrie is so sweet, and so are her helpers.. It is worth a drive there if you are anywhere close.





2 comments:

Becky K. said...

Happy Back to School days.

Becky K.

Gayla said...

In the interest of fairness, an anonymous reader left a post that told of going to this restaurant and not liking it. I'm sorry about that. They might have had a bad day or something else. Hope your next dining experience is much happier! But Mom and I still enjoy this restaurant.