Sunday, January 27, 2008

A month at a time.... what a great idea!

What a wonderful website I just found while googling Valentine Vintage Quilt. This is just what I've been thinking about .... only better. At Cheryl's Quilt Corner one can find these amazing quilts and more. The picture above is of her Vintage Valentine Quilt, but the kits for it are sold out. This woman evidently won best of show at a huge quilt contest using this pattern. I can see why... What a beauty...

Cheryl makes it seem as if even I, Moi, could do a quilt if I so chose. She sells patterns, and then she has gone that extra mile that makes me think, "Yeah, I could maybe do this." She has broken the bigger quilts into months, and she'll send just that month at a time.... I have thought about quilting all my life. It would be a natural choice since both my grandmothers were wonderful quilters. Sometime I'll photograph some of our treasures they made us. My mother has embroidered many quilts, and she really enjoys using them. I used to drape mine all over the house according to month.... and I love quilts and quilted runners, tabletop pieces, etc. I don't know that I'll actually DO this project, but it is sure fun to dream about it... and I love, love, love the idea she had of making it happen in smaller proportions. Who hasn't tackled a huge thing and just given it up, stuck it in a tote and wished they hadn't even started... This would be much more tempting... and even if (and I probably might) a person took double the time.... the garden quilt for six months would end up taking one year of spare time...????? Food for thought on this fine, sunny Sunday morning. Temperatures here in Missouri are predicted to be in the 50's today. We have a large pot of vegetable stew, some wonderful and delectable pumpkin pies baking... The house smells divine, cozy, and worry free... ???? Well, maybe that's waxing a bit too poetic, but it "DO" smell good.

One of her one or two month kits.... to get started. Can't you see the whimsical table come next November? I might make it by then....
A traditional kind of Pennsylvania Dutch one.



I love the bright look and the cat and bird theme on this one. It says only six months... Hmmmm.... Might be the place to start!
Oh.... Summer.... Flowers.... and dark. I love brights accented on dark. This is a show stopper...
Looks like a heritage quilt from a master, but it's a 14 month project. I love the idea of breaking it all down into stages.

1 comment:

black eyed susans kitchen said...

That valentine quilt is breathtaking! I may take up quilting again...that is just stunning. I am awed. Susan