Thursday, November 22, 2007

Talkin' Turkey Around Here. . .

Tomorrow (Friday) is our big day... Our centerpiece is kind of wild and wacky... Scarecrows, homegrown pumpkins, bittersweet, carnival glass, a hopeful cracker that my son's friend Willie can come after all, and a little photo of my grandparents on their honeymoon... Vintagey, kind of a collection of this n' that. The crackers are not really crackers at all, but grande Snickers bars wrapped in a tea size autumn napkin and tied with irridescent fall ribbon.

Place cards ready for the "crackers" on the table...


We did a Paula Deen Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Cake instead of the pies this year. It's incredible, easy.... and already for tomorrow. Our tablescape...

Well, we are having our Family Thanksgiving tomorrow (or rather later today, since it is already Friday... My son and his friend both had the flu on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I didn't much want to cook a huge meal if they didn't feel up to eating it, so we just postponed. Today I made a huge crockpot of chili,and we had lunch and watched the parade. He came over by hiimself and had abite with us and then went to other family's homes, but Mom and I just got ready for tomorrow. It was a quiet Thanksgiving, that way... and Mr. Turkey is headed for the oven in about four hours...

I can't believe how odd this feels to get ready for a holiday in basically another woman's kitchen... especially my dear wee mother. She follows me all around and throws away stuff, cleans and washes dishes, and basically is a clean FREAK all the time... Me, I'm kinda messy and definitely don't pitch anything until the job is finished. She is an attention to detail, do it early girl, and I'm a foo foo hard at the last minute, wait a bit and let it settle in the brain kind of gal... Wooo! I love her dearly, but this is harder than it looks.... Who said holidays are homemade? I laughed so hard I wanted to flip over that Jenny-O ad with the huge turkey. Have you guys seen it? I wish we had a Jenny-O I think we have a Tommy F.. F stands for FROZEN. It has been in the refrigerator since MONDAY, and it is still hard as a rock... Maybe I bought a turkey shaped granite piece???? Dunno.... And I dread the battle with the little metal deal on the legs, dragging the frozen bags of giblets out.... yucko.... I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner, though... all that aside, it is wonderful... Talk to you guys later... Hope you get all you are looking for if you go out this morning and shop.

4 comments:

Nan said...

Hope you had a great day! Thanks for stopping by.
Nan

Anonymous said...

Gayla, I love the vintage centerpiece, the Thanksgiving plates, the red goblets, the name cards, the autumn angel. I hope it is a sweet, blessed time for you and all who gather 'round your table. I hope the long weekend will bring refreshing to your spirit, too. Desert Lady

Anonymous said...

What very special place settings. I love that idea...making your guests feel so special.
Alexandra

Terri Steffes said...

Are you enjoying the time off?? I can't believe it is Saturday already!

I drove through your area. We had Thanksgiving in Macon at that wonderful old building where the insane used to be placed??? do you know what I mean?

Anyway, you should go in there sometime. The place is gorgeous.