Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Moon Lady

To my left sits my sweet moon lady.... She has been wishing for a starlit night, and I think it's about to happen. Rainy afternoon, busy day. I have this little lady beside my bed, but she's the SECOND statue I have bought. Once a long long time ago I found her sitting in a World Trader Shoppe at the mall. She was about eye height, and I looked over there and said, "Hello!" Way, way, way too expensive, I decided. But later I thought of all the times the moon has helped me through something. I knew I was about to be a "goner."

I have loved the moon all my life, and I can remember studying my social studies lessons and wondering what the moon was like for a certain event... Did Civil War soldiers watch the moon the night before Gettysburg? I used to visit a Drive-In movie in a nearby town almost every weekend with my family. I'd lie there watching the moon if the movie wasn't up to par. I usually could take myself somewhere far, far away. After becoming totally immersed in a bible study about David one year, I could just imagine that little shepherd boy asleep with his sheep under the moon the night before he was annointed as future king of Israel.

As I said, this is moon maiden number two. After spending that semi fortune and owning her for only a couple of months, I decided to put her in the center of a midsummer tablescape in my dining room. Lovely? Well, she fell over! She broke into a jillion pieces. I was so mad I got in my car that weekend and drove to the mall and plunked down another sum of too-dearly earned cash. So, I guess you might say she is worth double her weight in pennies!

Last night, can't recall if it was early or late, I was up stirring around looking for antacids.(Not very poetic, but, ....Yep... Mexican food yesterday did me in). I couldn't find any, but I did see a luminous, golden sliver of a moon hiding behind a cloud, and it was whispering to come out and sit on the deck, feel the cooler breezes, and count my blessings. Genesis 1:16: And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. 17: And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, 18: And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. And yes, Lord... my moon maiden and I agree. It was very, very good.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine had that same statue and she knocked it off her mantle and broke it - she was broken hearted. She hasn't been able to find a replacement yet.

I have a fondness for the moon too :o)

Unknown said...

The Pull of the Moon...