Thursday, March 8, 2018

Spring ... a dozen days from now!



Well, spring will be here in less than two weeks, so I feel as if I am okay to start getting ready for it!


 Loved the wintry coziness and all the projects and hot cups of tea. Right now my dear little gramma and I would be drinking sassafras tea to"thin our blood" for spring. She believed it made us feel better, and I think it might have. I know the sassafras we get now is not the same because the Food and Drug regulated it due to its anticoagulant properties.  So, I guess Gramma was right about thinning our blood! 



My go-to tea right now is Harney and Sons apricot. I just can't get enough of it. In fact, I think a cup right now will boost my energy. If it doesn't thin my blood!



Last Saturday my son and I drove to a huge Ford dealership in Louisburg, Kansas, and he bought a great pickup truck. He had been patiently Internet shopping for seven maonths. He loved the truck he had but it didn't have much going for it right now, and it seemed a good time to get one with a heater and defroster, he said! Oh, my! We have had a pretty chilly winter for those conditions.


I must say I was a lot nervous to drive home in my car through Kansas City and all those exits and Semis. We had met a dear friend who lives near Kansas City, and she boosted my mojo a bit. I kept thinking that facing my fears would help...if I didn't crash.  That was a bit of positive thinking with a whammy. I heard a funny rattle about 75 miles in, and that's when it hit me my teeth had been chattering pretty much the whole time. How funny!


Well... time out. Just got a phone call and I am having company for afternoon tea! How delightful! It's sunny and 40 degrees right now, up from the dreary 24 degrees it was earlier! We had snow this week, but nothing like the East Coast Nor'easter....  I am back! Wow! We had a nice little supper actually. She brought cinnamon bread and fancy cream cheese, and I made chicken salad and had crackers and sharp Wisconsin cheese. 


Next weekend is St. Patrick's Day. The Irish Tedford clan in me is gearing up for that. I almost always had my parents for Irish stew, green jello, and Soda bread. Somewhere at home is a wee collection of chalk leprechauns. Where they be... hard tellin'.


I was thinking about that phrase of, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." That is so true. I can still hear my mother's version of it if I ever lost my temper in a pure tantrum. She would look at me a minute and say, "You can go  ahead and act like Rumpelstiltskin with his beard caught in a crack if you want to, but you will just split wide open in a room spun full of gold."  Uh...  even knowing that fairy tale well did not make me get what she meant at first. But I get it now.


So many of you are looking forward to the warmer weather and maybe a garden or flower bed. In Missouri we have had an old-fashioned winter season, cold, dry, long, gray. I personally don't mind that, but I know most are impatient for the true signs of spring.


By the time I get this posted, it is going to be eleven days until spring, so...  enjoy the weekend!


It is Taco Salad for Sunday here. That's one dish that always makes a hit with my family.





Whimsy and Hugs!

No comments: