Wednesday, March 20, 2024

A Comment on Grief

My very philosophical son and I had endless conversations about the deepest subjects we could find.  He had such an insight into the way people exist and think and run their lives.
 
After my mother (and his sweet granny) passed, he told me one day,  "You know, Mom, you lived this last year as Granny's caregiver as if she'd live forever.  I've thought that each day would be her last... and at her funeral we felt exactly the same."
I've thought about that concept of life and grief so often. 
Last night Gerred's father called me. He was so sad and broken... just like me.  He said,  "When I see Gerred's picture, I think of all the things I thought we do some day, and now we never will." They just didn't stay in contact very often through the years.  It was an unfortunate experience really. 
I thought about my own desolate sadness and grief. There is very little of that particular regret with me. I think of all the gazillions of minutes of fun my boy and I had, and I'm just floored by the realization those  times will never happen even one more time ...  
Again two people reach their grief by two different pathways... isn't that odd?
I have no point here;  no judgements... just commentary... 

3 comments:

deepinthegreenlilacpark@gmail.com said...

I can only imagine how this is for you but to read your words about Gerred and your life together and to see the beautiful photos is a privilege

racheld said...

To see the young man you've been telling us about for all the time I've been here is a wonderful privilege and honor---your love for each other just flows off the screen. I wish you heart-filling memories, sweet dreams, and a wonderful Easter season. jan

Jenny the Pirate said...

The best, best, best part of all, despite the horrible grief you are experiencing (I cannot imagine), is that you have no regrets. That is priceless. xoxo