Monday, November 11, 2019

Baby, it's cold outside!

Whimsy and Hugs!

What's up? Today is blustery and flurried with whirls of snow and promises of wintry mix. We have hung a huge quilt to help insulate our house, and space heaters are picking up the slack at the tune of $6/daily... 


These very same windows here about 63 years later let in just as much cold air (maybe/probably more since my dad kept better tabs on caulking and such)... I am sitting pretty on my wonderful (though kind of stern-looking) grandfather's  lap. Daddy and Gramma look to be having a good day, and Mom's forever taking the picture. (Could nobody have ever grabbed the camera and snapped her photo?)


I decided to stash most of my vibrant-colored Autumn and go with minimal Thanksgiving-only decor. Can I tell you a secret? I just bought six...1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.... 48" fir trees...  I know. They look a teensy bit Charlie Brownish in the ad on Walmart, but they were reduced to $12  each. I dunno... I have a vision for them. I hadn't priced twinkly lights though... Ouch!


Somebody pulled my cat's string this morning. Isn't it strange to watch the weather get inside an animal? My dad and grandfather used to laugh about the calves frisking in the frosty air like this. It's a perfect day to be working from home (as is my son) or retired (as am I)... We have Italian steak bite stew and Cowboy chili already made in the fridge. Here I am planning lunch at 8:45 a.m. Don't tell me it's too early because I am not ready for that kind of negativity...


I hired a young man to board up my other house and perchance deter any more uninvited tenants. Looks purty rough up there. Makes my heart sad although I feel good about getting it prepped for winter, ready to withstand some deep thought-time on my part... (But... not today, my friends.)


Happy Veteran's Day...





Today sounds promising for accomplishing something in my Studio. Here's my current status. I had never heard of mug cake. (I know! What rock did I crawl out from under?) Then I saw a craft tutorial for cute gifts centered around said mug cake. So... I ordered a stash of mug cake mixes from good old Wally World dot com.... So. of course, I had to rise to the challenge and test the merchandise. (I couldn't be giving inferior products away, right?) Well, golly-gosh! I cannot think of a "funner" breakfast than warm mug cake and Diet Coke in my studio... So... six days after initial testing, and three mug cakes are missing in action... Just saying that these stupid things are 400 calories!!! and such a little mug for the tally... However, on a blustery day... ya get my drift, don't ya...




2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have made my own mug cake, but have not tried the mixes. I know they are so fast and easy. What a yummy breakfast! Now I want to know where you will put the trees and how you will fix them up. This old picture is wonderful!! I love your hutch and gorgeous dishes.

Miss Merry said...

My husband laughs while I am planning lunch and dinner during breakfast. Does he think they will magically appear when it is time to eat? The cold temperatures arrived this morning with icy rain and a forecast from 2-10 inches of snow, depending on what channel you turn to. I have had a roast in the crock pot and my house smells amazing.