Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Cold Musings...


Laundy. Clearing. Typical January things...  I always enjoy the winter months because nobody actually expects me to go anywhere, so I don't have to constantly decline to do so!  I am free to stay home without feeling as if I've let the world down somehow. Now is the time when I do a lot of thinking, though.  And that is not always good. Lol...

I have finally found the tote with my Valentine things.  I was shocked to discover I had already put it in the decorations room in a red tote. How organized? No wonder I didn't find that/


I found this cute box of K-cups at Aldi.  It would make a super gift, but I don't think any of my peeps have a Keurig except me. The little bear here was my son's as a little boy. When my grandmother ordered it for him, the company accidently sent two, and she decided to pay for the second one and keep it. What a fun move. My son came to my Mom's every day during the school year, and he loved to say goodbye to Charlie Bear at home and then we made a game of "racing" Charlie to my mom's house.  Boom! Charlie was magic because he was already here and waiting for him.  It was so fun. To this day I don't think both Charlies ever crossed paths, and I doubt they ever will. 




Mom made this cute snow lady at Ceramics class. And you can see I treated myself to those enormous Pioneer Woman mugs from Walmart. They are really almost too big, but sometimes that's just the cup of tea I need.





Still reading Mom's diaries. They are such an eye-opener. In this one she was only four years older than I am now. I have to shake my head when I consider how old I thought she was then...  Some of the events rush back into my mind when I read them. I can see her perspective better from here than I could when I was living it, that's for sure. I had some marital troubles that year that later led to divorce. Thus... whole months at the end of the year are just blank. She also mentioned getting old...  I think it was such a shock to her, too.  Is that the way of the world? My goodness...  ENCOURAGE is my 2022 word.  So enough of this tangent.



I am finally okay with how my shelves look.  I had gone clutter blind for I'm not sure how long. I realize my everyday cleaned up look is vastly cluttered to many, but I had crossed all kinds of boundaries with all holidays represented in little ways and even arranging jars of pickles and boxes of spaghetti...  What? I felt like I suddenly just woke up and was shocked at what I saw.

Here we have my grandparents near their wedding days.  I want to put one here of my parents also...  My Valentines. 


I will add that those sweet little light up hearts came from Valerie Par Hill on QVC. I recently wrote a comment on her Instagram accound about buying them. My mom had me order them the last day she was here on this earth. I said I wanted to buy them to give to everyone who had been nice to us. She said, "Oh, Gayla...  order lots!" Valerie wrote me the sweetest note after that.

Laundry is spinning, and I have caught up temporarily. That's always a short-lived feeling of success. My son is back on Keto diet. I am just trying to behave better than I did at Christmas. Most of Keto is great, but... as Paula Deen once said, "I'd get up out of my death bed for a potato." lol...

Have a warm end of the month. We need snow or rain...  Farmers know this.


Whimsy and Hugs!

3 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Love your treasures. Those coffees look good! I am getting maudlin tonight, too. I am shocked daily when I think of my age, LOL. My neighbor said she is starting KETO again and was on the hunt for pepperoni when she slipped and fell on some ice. I am not sure exactly what KETO is but I can't give up potatoes. That is my favorite food group (obviously).

NanaDiana said...

What beautiful, sweet things you have, Gayla. I really love that you have your mom's diaries. I bet you do have a whole different perspective on them at this age than when you were living them.
Laundry going here, too. Too darned cold to do anything else. xo Diana

Jenny the Pirate said...

In the past I have shocked myself with how much I loathed the month of January, but I don't feel that way anymore. I do not make new year resolutions or pick a word; I just get up every day and try to accomplish SOMETHING, haaaha! Some days I actually succeed. Other days, I let myself down. But I guess the thing to do is start all over again every new day. God's mercies are new every morning, so I figure my feeble attempts can be too. Your house as always is so cozy and warm and inviting. Such wonderful memories attached to each object. The little heart lights are so charming! Here's to a productive and satisfying February. xoxo