Wednesday, September 30, 2020

So long, September...



September's song is nearing its final chords. I can put away the back-to-school blues and focus on how blessed I am to be retired this particular year. Almost all the local schools have had days off, dropped schedules, angry complaints, controversies, frightened students and sad teachers... This will be a defining moment for us all.... it is this generation's legacy to navigate school through a pandemic...  No politics here..... just teacher thoughts. And some fun memories and contacts with students!


I once taught a young Freshman gentleman whose name shall remain secret. He managed to tom-fool around and just not do enough for my merciful D-. That was pretty hard to do because one of my better known qualities was my mercy. I was not overly abundant with the higher grades without due effort, but to me, there was only 4 points between each grade level UNTIL that unfortunate slush pit of the F, which had 59 points!!!! So... this kid went home after numerous teacher consultations with his very irritated and frazzled mama throughout the quarter. I envisioned his interactions with parents, and I really felt he would be quite sad and scolded.... I thought about him throughout the evening, and the next day he seemed quite ok... I guessed he had not confided his grade yet... Here was our conversation:

Me: Did you tell your parents?
Him: Yep
Me: What happened?
Him: We got ready really fast and drove to Kirksville 
Me: Why?
Him: They bought me a brand new three-wheeler (back when they were a legal "thing.")
Me: Why?
Him: Because I got an F in your English class! (Huge grin)
Me: What?
Him: Yeah. They bought me a top of the line three-wheeler because you "gave" me an F!
Me: (crickets) finally.... I don't really get it.
Him: Oh, see?  Let me explain it to ya! (because I was evidently too dumb to get it on my own)-----  They needed to get me something good so they would have something to ground me off of.... in case I don't pass next quarter.

I have never forgotten how I felt at that moment... his happiness... my well---- "aghast-ness."..... you can imagine. I never found out the end of that story because they decided to pull him out of our school and try his luck elsewhere....  But I often think of that concept when I reward myself with a temptation (such as the kit for that quilted chicken above) for not having sewn one darn thing on my sewing machine yet... lol


I have been trying to soothe my feathers and plan out my lists and gifts and projects for the upcoming holidays. I am one to usually get a large portion done by mid-November (I learned my procrastination lessons a long time ago!) I just am spinning my wheels. I don't really foresee any true get-togethers... I know the reason for the season is not gifts!!!  I think the true meaning of Christmas is the only part worth celebrating this year, actually...  If we had a bigger nucleus family, we would get together, but... it is really just the two of us... I dunno... got any ideas? I have a couple, but I want to hear better ones! lol


Heather, another former student, took this picture last night! Is it not dreamy? That is a moon worthy of chasing!


I often tell my kitty, "You are just too cute for school!" 
She told me back this morning: "I know."


I have had a pen pal from Germany since 1997... He is married now with a sweet family, and we currently just keep in touch on Facebook... He posted this amazing banquet of bears... These bears are gonna have tummy aches I would imagine, but... an apple a day rule means they will not be seeing a doctor all fall and winter!



My son and his grandfather made these jack-o-lanterns when he was in fourth grade! I think if it isn't ruined or stolen I have a picture up "home" of him with all 10 of them... His former fourth grade teacher (also my former student and friend) sent me this text today and reminded me of how fun that was... This is hers... 


Have a great final day of September... October will gleam green and gold with a hint of frost... Are you ready?




Whimsy and Hugs!

3 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Not sure if I am ready for September to end - or whether I am wishing my life away in order to get past all this and get back to normal. I bought my "new" sewing machine several years ago. It sat unopened until the night before a quilting class for which I had registered. I gave it a quick run, but spent 1/2 of that class figuring out how to rethread the bobbin. The quilt top was finished but several years later (could it be 10 - yikes), the top is still not finished.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The gorgeous sky picture looks like marble!! Do you see? I love your kitty on the gorgeous mantle, so that is my favorite picture! It is an overload of joy. What a pretty journal. I love your mini quilt piece, it is really cool! I would buy it if I had a sewing machine.

Martha said...

The student story is just something else, and so are all those bears! Your kitty is beautiful - definitely too cool for school :)