Tuesday, September 29, 2020

How I lost my marbles... and my iron... and other kooky tales

Photo of Pixels brand shower curtain


Once upon a time a slender young girl sat happily on the gray, navy and pink Oriental wool carpet at her grandparents' two-story farmhouse. While her wonderful gramma made something fabulous in her pink kitchen, this girl and her grandfather shot marbles... They were beautiful! One huge green marble was very clear but severely chipped. Deep inside it was some peppermint colored glass. My grandfather "whispered" that this pretty taw had been attacked by my mother as a little girl because she used a big ball-peen hammer to get to that candy! Now my grandfather was nearly perfect, but whispering was clearly not his forte, so in came my gramma Minnie and apologetic mother to weigh in with their stories...[ I just have to insert an observation here. I thought then and I still think it... my mother was kind of a bad child to do that, and... she had to have really been hard up for candy!!! ]

Flash forward to all my "adult" life when said marbles lived in a cardboard cylinder my mother as a teen had carefully colored with a Santa and sleigh--- little, whimsical reindeer...  About two years ago I ran across the empty cardboard cylinder, but... You guessed it. I had lost my marbles. I looked everywhere! I was pretty sure I had lost them for good...  Everyone agreed it was bound to happen!

photo from Wayfair.com


Yesterday, in order to finish my cross stitch, I looked high and low for an iron. Mom had two, and I had two... All are  AWOL. I love to iron, and I used to enjoy ironing nearly every item I washed--- not the towels and washcloths although I think my gramma did that. I clearly remember watching her iron washcloths and tea towels with carefully mended holes in them.  I asked her why bother mending or ironing such worn out daily things... Her answer... "Gayla, you may be poor all your life, but don't be sloven." lol... Well, oh wise prophetess, yep... I think you are right... When my laundry sits in a basket a couple days not EVEN folded I think "Uh-huh... poor AND sloven!" So, I guess all the irons got sold or lost in the big up-do a couple summers ago, and mine from that other life were no doubt stolen and resold (sloven?) ......and Minnie Samantha's granddaughter never  even noticed... So last night I ordered a cheap one from Wal-Mart.com... Case closed...


photos from Pinterest 


Oh, and the other day while I was moving in a replacement microwave, I knocked off a cake plate and antique fruit jar lamp... I handily caught the green depression cake plate before it crashed, and the lamp MIRACULOUSLY did not break... Guess what was inside that old fruit jar???? My marbles!!! Rejoice! I found my marbles! (But how many times have I moved, dusted and foo-fooed  with that lamp? Did Mom put them in there? Or gulp! Did I? --------- I  never once noticed what was rattling in there at all..)      --- probably just too preoccupied with finding my... yep... I won't even go there.

My lamp!!! My marbles! 







Whimsy and Hugs!

3 comments:

Martha said...

LOL, I'm glad you found your marbles. After you get your new iron you will find the old ones :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, what a story about your marbles. This lamp is just a perfect way to both display and protect them. I love the story your granddad told you. I lost my iron a couple years ago. And of course as soon as I bought a new one, I found it!

Miss Merry said...

So glad you found your marbles - I am afraid mine are a lost cause LOL. I did lose my ironing board once. We have a small house, 3 bedrooms, living room and kitchen. with a small utility room off the kitchen where the ironing board lived. I was getting ready for work, last to leave the house and my blouse was wrinkled. I went to the utility room, no folded ironing board, took a short walk through the house - no ironing board. Wore a sweater.

When I got home from work, I asked the family about it. My daughter had ironed something and left it standing in the kitchen. My husband couldn't figure out how to fold it (while I was in the shower) and just opened the back door and sat it in the back yard. I never thought to look there!!!!