Saturday, September 5, 2020

Happy Birthday!


Today is the 39th birthday for my son! I have been excited for this... probably because this shut-in business has given me less opportunity to have little fiestas! He is a little under the weather, but I know he will feel like having fun with the ideas I have planned. 




I bought him several gifts that I can tell you about later, but I want to share one of his surprises here. I created a journal from a Little Golden book that was his absolute childhood favorite. I read it to him each and every night until he knew it by heart! I bought a gently used duplicate copy on Ebay to make this, but in the meantime I think his original was a part of that ridiculous burglary. (so... whatever...) I then took the book apart and created 3 signatures from its pages and from Superhero scrapbook paper and from all kinds of memorabilia from Mom and Dad's file cabinet. It has WW2 things and keepsakes from them. receipts for his first car, and autographs, cancelled stamps, You name it. Than I have added tons of photos from them, him... his dad... It isn't smooth and pretty... It is chock full and clumsy and really fun. Here it is!!! (ton of photos!)






















and many more pages and tags and tuck-ins. Speaking of tucking in... I need to get some sleep. He is in his room Zooming or Skyping with his buddies from work. I can hear him laughing... my favorite sound in the world. I loved the fact his friends hung out at our house. Sometimes I am shocked by the tales they tell about the science experiments they concocted in the basement... But I loved the sound of boys through the ages having fun. Some of his friends lived with us throughout times when their homes were not exactly what they needed (after they were young adults, of course)... 

Have a good Labor Day weekend. Don't work too hard!










Whimsy and Hugs!

6 comments:

Susie said...

Gayla, I love that present...it's is wonderful . That little red haired boy, so cute. Wish him Happy birthday from all of us. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Ginny Hartzler said...

This may be the most amazing, wonderful, joyful, creative item I have ever seen!! It is priceless, and should be handed down in the family as an heirloom. Just FILLED with LOVE, a gift of the heart. You are amazing. First, that you actually THOUGHT of doing this is so cool!

Jeanie said...

Happy Birthday. That journal is a treasure!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

What a super wonderful amazing grand Birthday Gift!!!!!

And Happy Birthday to your son!

Ahem, are you going to try to make a Paleo Birthday Cake again??????? >,-)))))) Yes, I remember when you tried doing that!!!!

-ducking, running and hiding-

>,-)))))

Oh, and did you get out your Autumn "Victoria" magazines????

Beside a babbling brook... said...

GINNY said almost the same as I!!! About your gift! ~gigggles~

And I did not read her comment, before making mine! ~more giggggles~

racheld said...

Oh, Gayla!! I'm so far beyond impressed, I'm practically swooning from the joy of this. I echo everyone above, especially Ginny's superb description, and just can't tell you how much this has kvelled my Mama/ganjin heart. You are absolutely genius in your ideas and in your careful conservation of all the sweet memories and memorabilia---those photos and the souvenirs and family and that precious book's imprint on both you and him.

I've spent many midnight wakeful these past couple of years, just looking my eyes full of beautiful scenes and homes and flowers and the art of gifted hands, but NOTHING has been this important in the life of anyone. Brava and rest on those much-deserved Laurels for a while. Girl, you DO beat ALL.