Monday, September 28, 2020

Autumn Soup... and other delights!






I love to make soup and even though my son says soup with a beard is not fun, he enjoys a nice bowl  "most of the time." I created this delicious soup using a family favorite, white chicken chili, as inspiration.

Autumn Harvest Keto Soup

Chop, slice, or chunk the following and slowly saute in 

1/2 c. butter:

2 small summer yellow squash or small zucchini
1 onion
1 c. mushrooms or small drained can
1 T. crushed garlic

While simmering add spices to taste (You can leave out anything you don't like. I added quite a bit because there are a lot of bland ingredients in here.):

Chili powder 
Cumin
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes 
cayenne

Add 1 22 oz. pkg frozen chicken strips (or chicken diced and precooked. I used the precooked Kirkland strips from Aldi's)
1 carton (32 oz.) chicken broth
1 cup water

When all this is hot, add

1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese (cubed)
1-2 cups cheese shredded (You could use Velveeta, but I used sharp cheddar -- about a cup)
as much or as little fresh spinach as you want. It totally disappears like Autumn magic. It is a Keto thing... 

I heated it until cheeses melted.  (If not on keto, I would have thickened it with a flour/water shake-up mixture.....and left out the spinach... lol)

We have had this two days, and we are not tired of it (which is great because it made a big cast iron pot full.)





I am adding the names to my Mayflower sampler... that is rather slow work! So I started a couple other Fall stitches... It is totally the new cross-stitcher wheel house to have a ton of starts and roam about from one project to another... They call these WIPs (works in progress) and very few modern stitchers do "monogamous stitching" (what my mom and grandmothers called "finishing up the first thing before you start another".) Woo hoo! The serial project starter has found a home here! 

I love this piece called Queen of Autumn




And I am now finished this one shown partially done--- but have to fully finish it by Thursday


I made my hat all black because my witches like it that way! I have about half of my Halloween decorations out. I know. Who was that woman who promised herself not to decorate as much since nobody is coming? (I don't know her either.)



5 comments:

Martha said...

The soup sounds delicious, I can't wait until it cools down enough here in Florida to make soups, stews and chowders again! Love your fall stitches too and of course witches want black hats!

Miss Merry said...

Our cool weather starts tomorrow. My favorite season is soup season!!! Love the cross stitch projects. The witches hat should be black!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

You do such beautiful needlework! And your home has gorgeous fall decorations I adore your wonderful hutch buffet, it is stunning and beautiful. And you have it decorated perfectly. I wish we had room for something just like it.

Shilpa said...

I love soups but I dont eat mushrooms. I shall add some other veg and definitely give a try

Jeanie said...

I love your hutch -- so beautiful. And that soup sounds fabulous. I might ahve to add that to my recipe file for this fall -- it's such a terrific season for soups to begin.