Monday, August 31, 2020

Adieu, Lady August


I can honestly say this month has really gone past us in a blur... and not due to a busy calendar. More to a friendly routine, repetitive and easy-going. August is traditionally such a huge month with our Homecoming for a week, perhaps a vacation, and then Back-to-School. None of that happened for us in 2020. My former co-workers are back  with precautions and prayers. I am ok with retirement, for once! 

One aspect of farm life I miss is my chickens. No way could I care for them now, but that was a really interesting part of my days as a young person. I took care of ours, and often I helped my grandmother with hers. These aren't my personal photos, but I found them on good old Pinterest, I think. 


We ordered our chicks as babies by mail. They arrived in a large rather flat box with airholes in the sides. And they smelled really bad! Daddy had the heat lamps all set up in the brooder house, and we put them in there with feeders and waterers... and hoped for the best.

So... we never let our hens set to raise/hatch any chicks of our own. Basically we just wanted eggs to use for cooking, I think. After my "pets" grew up we didn't eat any of ours. Aldi's has beautiful brown eggs. I always think those are the best for some reason.


August makes me think of those hot days in the henhouse gathering the eggs. I used to swing my bucket of eggs over my head, swirling it so fast the eggs hugged the sides and bottoms and didn't fall or shuffle and crack. I later learned that was due to centrifugal force rather than my own magical powers.. Darn that Science/Gravity/Physics anyway! lol

Have a lovely Monday. Say your own farewells to this summery month of 2020. 
Whimsy and Hugs!

4 comments:

Susie said...

Oh you magical girl. LOL. Gayla. I loved this post. When my daughter first got chickens, her daughter Emma could not wait to gather eggs. She soon grew tired of that. LOL. But they still have chicken for the eggs. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Miss Merry said...

I grew up in a rural community. We never had chickens, but we bought eggs from everyone we knew! I was just telling my husband how back in the day people would order chicks and the end of winter had have them in a corner or a country kitchen or mudroom under the lamp until it got warm enough to move them to an out building. He couldn't believe it LOL. Of course the second set of chicks would start out in an out building once the frost danger had passed.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, right now is the best time to be retired, due to the virus. I have never looked at Aldi's eggs, now I want to check them out! I always look through all of them before buying.

Jeanie said...

I love these photos from your past. We can't have chicks in our neighborhood and I'm not sure how responsible I'd be if we did, but I sure love the idea of them and of eggs!