Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Whimsy and Hugs!

Still here. Nothing really exciting to post here from Meadow Lane. This photo reminds me of the chickens we had when I was a little girl. I had the job of feeding them, watering them, and getting the eggs. I had the idea that they deserved a few of their own eggs, so I always gave them a couple every day. By the way, chickens LOVE raw eggs! ewww? One night I learned my dad was going to take a few to the meat locker the next day, so I ran off and cried.... deep in the back of the chicken house under their roost I sat with my old girls hugged in my arms, bawling my eyes out. I heard Mom calling me. I guess she heard me crying because suddenly the door swung open, and there stood both my parents. All I remember is I had to take a bath (because chicken roost) and all my clothes got soaked... and those old hens lived here.... forever.... until their old-age, dying days... Nobody had to go to the meat locker. The end. 

p.s.  I MIGHT have been a little spoiled. lolol  I prefer to think they saw the glory of the chickens and the error of their ways. 

3 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Never had chickens, but I have fed and watered for friends on occasion. One of my former 4-Her posted today that she had surprise chicks. UPS said they were in shipment for Thursday, but they were on her doorstep this morning. Luckily she just moved a batch to the coop so she had room under the lamps.

Ginny Hartzler said...

what a good story, and a sweet memory. You were so thoughtful and animal loving!! Too bad everyone cannot be like that.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful story. I should think it would be hard for a child to have animals which would ultimately become dinner. I do remember my father telling me how his grandmother served up his favorite chicken for dinner one night. I think it turned him off chicken for many years to follow.