Sunday, March 8, 2020

Happy March!

Whimsy and Hugs! Oops! Have I not posted at all in March? What?


She has been a pretty one so far. Our skies have been mostly blue and that yummy weather in the 50's that might be my absolute favorite in all the world.



Today I am making "Breakfast" for dinner... We love that, and I haven't done it in years. My grandmother on my dad's side was the Queen of inviting people for breakfast... I mean like 40 people at once!!! I can't imagine how early she woke up to get it all ready. She always had cinnamon rolls and biscuits buried in dark lacquered country baskets with crochet-rimmed doilies, gravy in a painted German bowl, sausages on a huge white ironstone square plate... Then she had salad in her favorite cut glass bowl with the addition of grapes, bananas, and apples. She made her dressing with home made mayonnaise, honey or brown sugar, and cider vinegar. (or wilted lettuce with green onion and bacon in season) Then we would have green beans snapped fresh or home canned and cooked with bacon... country fried potatoes and onions, (soft with crisp skirts around the edges), and finally stewed tomatoes in a deeply-green pottery bowl. Her tomatoes were perfect and sweet from the quarts she canned herself and mixed with home baked bread,... I cannot imagine she did not have dessert, but I must have skipped it for the cinnamon roll... Possibly it was tapioca or rice pudding or crusty bread pudding with glaze. She liked to make those, and at that age I was no fan of anything like that... I remember how she laughed at the guests who had never heard of salad and green beans for breakfast. I don't think the term "brunch" was popular then and she did not call this feast by that name,


I am not doing all that--- although I am rather inspired by the memories and wilted lettuce. My boys are more the simple fare, so we're doing waffles, syrup, and sausage, bacon in salad with grapes and apples, scrambled eggs and sharp cheddar... and waffle brownies for a late afternoon dessert. I haven't tried them but I have read about them.

I guess this blog is a food blog today. We are hungry!



I have been working on St. Patrick cards and journals... oh, and a mountain of laundry...



I found this ladder online from Hobby Lobby so decided to add it. I love looking at these machine-embroidered towels my mother had made by Gerry, a dear doll friend... They make my heart happy.







So, see you soon!


3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Good to see a post from you! Your grandmother was totally amazing!! I love breakfast for dinner, and make it often. I love your new ladder, it does not stick out in the room so it gives you more space. I remember the Shirley Temple dolls, are these yours? I imagine they would be worth quite a lot now!

Miss Merry said...

Yum. That breakfast sounds amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Makes me happy, too, from WAY OVER HERE!! Your description of your Grandma's wonderful breakfast makes it sound as fabulous as it must have been---I'm not a breakfast-cooking devotee, but between Leah and me, we can conjure up some mighty scrumptious fare along about 10 am on a weekend. That involves some texting to see of the other is UP, and then increased shouting up and down the staircase, from my kitchen to hers to mine, as we both inventory the fridge, freezer, pastry bins, fruit drawers and baskets, and what's good in the cheese/sausage/leftover ham/omelet fixin's drawer of each fridge. "I'll scramble eggs---got some Tillamook!!" from up there is answered by, "I'll make grits! How about I sizzle this leftover baked potato? How many strawberries are left? Grape salad, maybe?" And one of us emerges to smell bacon crisping in the oven---the GAME'S ON. Chris is delighted to climb to her aerie with its cheery sitting area and small dining table, as we wag up the goodies, a pitcher of tea, and my precariously balanced never-empty coffee cup. I, too, love the idea of vegetables for breakfast, and for many years, my second cup was always accompanied by a folded-over sandwich of tuna salad as I dressed for work. Love your menu, and know what we're having for dinner tomorrow night, with the leftover pot roast and gravy---biscuits and soft-yellow fried eggs and cheeses and jam. So wonderful to enter the blog world again!!