Friday, February 7, 2020

Be My Valentine?

Whimsy and Hugs! Just enjoying a cup of hot cocoa on this rather chilled night. "The sun rose brief and cheerless," as Whittier said in his "Snowbound" poem. I just made the executive decision to have a little late lie-in, as my English friends call it. My son was knee deep in computer coding and up against some deadline with his team... I have been guilty of watching, rather binge-watching Madam Secretary on Netflix all night long. I have envy for her clothes (not to mention the body to showcase them). Although this season has really had its share of those dressy skirts and dresses with a shiny nickel zipper showing... I remember that style well. At the time I knew my gramma would be so sad ... her sweet zippers were nearly invisible, hand whipped and in a secreted placate... And oh, the earrings she wears on the show are to die for... I looked up two pairs... There is a blog dedicated to fashion on that show!!!! Purty pricey...


I have been making Valentines to send... sure takes me back to grade school when we made boxes and counted every card to see if everyone gave us one... I sent a "passel" this year... a good way to take me on a myriad of journeys as I thought about times spent with so many dear ones.



I have been making journals and mailing them to friends. I lose track of all time when there happens to be scissors and glue nearby.





My cousin posted this treasure on Facebook this evening. It is a photo of a Valentine sent from my grandfather (check out his wonderful handwriting) to his lifelong sweetheart, my grandmother on Daddy's side. She was 17 years old on Valentine's Day in 1917... I have to smile at the thought of those two all those years ago. Grandad was a tall man, and he evidently set his mind on penmanship and probably scholarship.


My other grandfather went to the same one room school and was the same age. I understand it took a little time for those two to become friendly and accepting of my mom and dad and their relationship... You see, my Paw-paw (Mom's daddy) was not a scholar or evidently very well-behaved. In fact, he had scars on his back from whippings he got from that same teacher who smiled on Grandad. Indeed, my Grandad Miller cut the branches and prepared the whips for the teacher to use on Paw-paw (and the others who did not acclimate to school)... How interesting the threads that weave into the stories of our lives...


I found this adorable pot for soup on QVC, and I have given a few to my friends who love to cook. It looks like a big Valentine on my stove. Our latest soup was Chicken Taco soup... If I'm honest, the big bumps on this are a bit awkward to stir the pot... But... it's so dern cute!



I ran across this photo taken around 25 years ago of a dear friend and me... We were sure happy...



Love to all...

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Great pictures, Gayla. My father had handwriting like that, as did his father. Grandfather was a teacher/farmer his whole life. My father taught briefly at Penn State, sold insurance and then became a farmer (as he had grown up farming).
Great memories you made here--for you and for me. Hugs- Diana

Miss Merry said...

Wonderful photos and memories. I am sure your friends love to receive your handmade valentines, too!