Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Snowy Days...


Heavy snow curls over the corners of the roof, and our house appears foreign to me with its shadows and surreal Alpine contours.


The big snow of 2019 started about noon on Friday and kept up the solid layering of heavy, wet drifts. We had about 16 inches here... a recent high level of accumulation. 


I had made these woolen felt coasters for Mom, so it was time to work in my new yearly planner and drink hot tea. I purchased this hot water brewer from Walmart (Pioneer Woman), and I really REALLY love using it. Dear friends in Ireland sent me the teapot... 



I feel such peace every morning as the blue hour brings the light of day to our home... The snow stuck and layered on each twig. This was the stuff of Christmas cards.



Not just a little miffed at the absence of HER birds and squirrels... She is NOT impressed with the big thumps of snow thudding off the roof. 



Poor, bedraggled faux silk flowers. Only the brownest of thumbs can grow geraniums and zinnias in January. I overheard some friends talking about me as they came up the walk. What can I say? I am not a botanist. They just grow for me year round.... like they do for Cassie Nightingale, The Good Witch on Hallmark. lol---  So much in common! ha ha! 


We put ourselves on three lists for driveway cleaning, and even so it was Monday at 1 before they got here with their Magic (and extremely costly) skid loader and blade. Our driveway is about a third of a mile, rocks a nasty curve, and lies a little low... Drifts as deep as three feet were here and there with a constant level of the 16 inches...  Even so, in typical workplace fashion, my son's boss thought he coulda-shoulda walked to the highway and hitchhiked a ride so he wasn't late. Seriously... It was just "unacceptable." lol...  Big sigh...



Weather forecasts here include another snow, some freezing rain, and a dip in temps to below freezing. (Another color opens up on my weather afghan! lol) Seriously, stay safe and warm.











Whimsy and Hugs!

2 comments:

Miss Merry said...

OH my. I can't even imagine that much snow! We are expecting 6 inches and that is enough for me. I will say the best part of retirement is not worrying about driving to and from work in the snow.

NanaDiana said...

I love your pictures, Gayla. That one with the snow off the roof has kind of an other-worldly feel to it, doesn't it?!
Beautiful 'blue hour' photos, too.
Have a great night...oh and I love the coasters! so Diana