Sunday, December 30, 2018

A One Pot Meal. . .

I cook for two guys almost every Sunday, and I am so grateful to be able to do that. This week I also cooked for another friend on Saturday night... It is super chilly in Missouri. and the wind has been fierce. Soooooo. I opted for spaghetti and garlic bread Saturday.... and Navy beans, corn bread, and copycat Colonel Sanders coleslaw today. Easy peasy comfort foods. Right?



Well, it appeared as if an explosion went off in my kitchen... I clean as I go if I have time... It went great, and the guests were appreciative.... But even though I "looked" and soaked my beans all night and put them on on my slow cooker at 5:30 this morning, they were shocking little bullets at noon. There sat my two guests, telling me how good it all smelled... So I moved the beans to a never-tried Pioneer Woman Instant Pot (a gift from a dear friend). After a bit of technology crash course, they were done in 25 minutes plus warm-up. (10 minutes maybe). But that lovely big sink of mine was overflowing with appliances! No complaints here.

I am going to look for my mother's method of fixing steak in a pressure cooker. It involved flour, browning, vegetables, water, seasoning, Kitchen Bouquet, and a splash of ketchup. Her pressure cooker was scary, so she always herded me right out of the militarized zone. Thus, I am not sure how to fix this... It is truly fit for kings if I get it right... not wet and soupy. but moist and ooooh! la! la! I hope there is a card with instructions in her recipe file. I don't count on it because she cooked by "heart."





Tomorrow is New Year's Eve. Stay cozy and safe.





Whimsy and Hugs!

1 comment:

Miss Merry said...

I have never used a pressure cooker, but I have heard great things about them! I have had the same issue with beans. Sometimes I soak them for 24 hours and they are perfect. Sometimes I soak them for 24 hours and you could pave a driveway. I have no idea why. Happy New Year!