Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Don't I have something I should be doing? 10 Aha Moments

Well, the answer to that title is both yes and no. I do. Nothing but something! But not quite yet. Soon all these boxes and crates, baskets and basically any reservoir has to be put away. Just can't get to any room yet.

Allow me please the luxury to ramble and rant yet again from an entirely different perspective...  about my clutter. I know. I am sicker of talking about it than you are reading or listening. Truly I am.

(Coming soon to my breakfast table corner windows)

I have crawled through the fire and am freer than I ever thought imaginable.

Ten Revelations:

1. If it is worrisome, overwhelming, or causes pain.... it is begging for action, not words.

2. Eliminating family treasures truly doesn't erase them or their stories. If an object is buried in a box, it isn't that life-changing anyway.

3. There actually can be a place to store things you like or want or need... if tons of stuff you don't aren't hogging all the closets. Are you surrendering and sacrificing the living (including yourself) for the ones who have already passed?

4. Tidying up is really life-changing magic. (Marie Kondo has a point.)

5. An item really loses value like a car more often than not. It won't bring what you paid or thought it would/should/could at auction, so its value has been claimed in the prior days... kind of like money spent on food, entertainment, or travel.

6. As a culture we don't value space unless it is outdoors, but space indoors is truly liberating. When you see an empty room,  shoulders lift and a deep breath transpires.

7. If you eliminate something your dearly beloved parent, granparent, etc. loved, you have not lessened their joy or your joy you remember  watching them love it. Would you cook liver and onions for yourself just because your mom loved it? (ummmm. no.)

8. Selling an item for any amount (or donating) brings joy. My pickers told me they stop and pray, thanking God when they are able to make a good deal at an auction. Their whole family is blessed by that item. And at today's prices, if you really miss that old carpet beater. you can get one on Ebay for 6.75. (A Precious Moments runs about $5 for a grouping of 8-10.

9. Clutter is a breathing, deceptive animal that wants you to believe you will miss it, use it some day, organize it, gift it perfectly, fix it, make a killing on ebay with it, or cry forever without it. Liar. Life and breathing and choosing your own surroundings and treasures is the real treasure. You will never see it for its ugly self if you address only one box/drawer/closet/room at a time. Your mind will join in the ugly trick it pulls and think it is not a vicious monster.... but it is.

10. Nobody can or will urge, shame, motivate or force you to deal with it...ever. You can ignore, positive-spin, or remain in limbo or even hell forever until you die and your clutter and that of your lifeline becomes a burden or issue for your beloved kids. And really think about your ancestors. They either had less, held an auction for their parents, or moved and down-sized in their lifetime. Right?

Thank you. No pictures yet...  My monster has completely hooked together like Voltron... And it ain't pretty. The carpenters set a hope chest on top of a deep freeze today...  So... memories from WW2 overcomes my desire for a hamburger!!! Ah the metaphors, the symbolism. the... the....  GO TO BED. YOUR CARPENTERS RETURN IN 7 HOURS.AND I DON'T MEAN RICHARD AND KAREN... (if you don't get that, you probably don't have clutter.)


Whimsy and Hugs!

4 comments:

Miss Merry said...

WOW. This is so what I need! You are inspiring and a truth speaker. I am girding my loins. I need to get to work! Um, soon.

Rosemary said...

Inspiring words for this clutter collector. Too much stuff in my life.

CarolBeth99 said...

Need to share this! 👍🏻

linda said...

The Carpenters --richard and karen.
Funny!
Linda