Friday, April 27, 2018

Works in Progress

Last Thursday my son and I attended a  really cute interactive dinner theater production by our local theater group. We really enjoyed the evening with its premise we were attending a reunion of the class of 1969, complete with a live band performing the greatest hits from that time and really good vocalists. We had fun. I had neglected to tell him the evening was interactive, so it was really funny at first to see his reaction when first one then another "over the top" actor came up to us and engaged our attention. (Funny for me, shall I clarify?)





Then this past week my son and I shared something else! We both came down with the flu!!!  I never get sick. I thought it was due to my long years of developed teacher immunity and diffusing Thieves oil by Young Living. I have not diffused much because I rearranged my kitchen and living room and just hadn't been doing that...  Anyway, it is pretty outside and I am pretty much stuck inside. Feeling better tonight finally. He is better, as well. However, his is worse than mine... more of a bronchitis and I think he needs to see a doctor. I have slathered my dear Vicks all over my chest, neck, temples... feet and popped them in socks. My son found that idea preposterous... He just doesn't know the power of old wives' remedies... 


I made some more crochet table mats in the Spiced Cider colorway. Those are fun to do and I just love mine that I made earlier. Those are the blue Lady Earl Grey color pattern. These are called Tea Cakes self-striping yarns. The journal is a gift and it features a quote from Jane Eyre.



(I haven't done this one yet. It is on my list though)

I am gearing up for Stitch Maynia...  It is a big deal in the cross stitcher world, which I just recently discovered was alive and well. Mom and I took classes in the early 80's, and although I loved doing the stitching projects, I didn't see any stores for it any more. Well, that is evidently just a local flaw because the stores and festivals online are amazing. It is definitely a thing. If you love it, check out FlossTube, a division of YouTube. I enjoy watching a lot of stitchers show such cute patterns. Be sure you watch Priscilla and Chelsea, a mother-daughter show that is really inspirational. Here is a link to their spring home tour. The real artisans start 15-31 projects in May on each new day of the month. They take their patterns and "Kit them up" in bags with zippers with the floss they will need. I am just getting myself back into stitching so I am taking it easy, I must say the idea of starting a lot of projects sounds fun. It would help keep the work vibrant and interesting.

I also appreciate the "saves" they feature. Modern stitchers find gorgeous works of art stitched in the past and purchase them at auctions and thrift stores. The prices for these makes my heart ache...  sometimes 75 cents for a 36 -plus inch masterpiece that probably cost over a hundred dollars to make with framing, floss, patterns, fancy cloth....  But these modern stitchers take the time to fix them and give the old works of heart a special place. I find it so hard to use or even place out the beautiful work done by my mom and grandmothers. From its hidden, safe-kept spot in our three generations of homes, it will be set out at auction or worse and sold for 5 dollars some day. So wrong. Meanwhile a reproduction quilt or stitched piece at Wayfair or Pier One, Home Goods, etc...  it costs a bundle to "look" old.

Well, I am not helping my headache from the flu one bit, so I will let this rest!


The moon has been remarkable this month. Full April moon is the Pink Moon, the old timers said. I think it is a couple nights until it is truly full... 



Moonset at Dawn reminds me of Ladyhawk... Did anyone else see that movie? It slightly reminds me I am going to wonder why I didn't sleep... And... it is kinda pink.




Every morning you can find my kitty watching for the birds to wake up. She is intently patient. Finally I begin to hear little weird hunting noises from her, and I see her focused on the early birds getting their worms... 



I ramble.... ramblin' Rose... Stay healthy. Drink hot tea, and be true to your inner soul...



Here's a photo of my dear little mama with her Christmas candy from my son in 2015. She loved sharing that candy with anyone who waltzed through the door. 


Stay energized for a great spring weekend.   


Whimsy and Hugs!

2 comments:

Pamela said...

I graduated from high school in 1969

Miss Merry said...

First, love the photo of your mom. What a nice gift, too. You can just see the sparkle in her eye.

You are busy girl! That dinner sound great. The only way I could get my husband to something like that would be to "forget" to mention it was interactive LOL! I bet you both had a lot of fun. Great theme.

Love all your crafting, too. I haven't done needlepoint or cross stitch in a long time. I am not sure my eyes are up to cross stitch, but I have a closet full of needlepoint I might get back to one of these days. Because I don't have enough unfinished projects, I just started stained glass classes at our senior center.

Enjoy your Spring!!!