Thursday, March 22, 2018

Thanks, Gramma!

In just spring...  Remember good old e. e. cummings?


Today was such a beauty. Of course, I went for a drive. It is  still in the 30's here but no snow like the the East's weather. My dear Gramma Minnie  adored the springtime, while my sweet Ma Iona was an autumn girl through and through. Lucky for me, I am both!   





                                                                                                                                                                  


This blog looks like a crochet blog lately. One of my favorite things to do is flip on all the living room lights with a voice command to our "Alexa."    My son is heading out to work, and I quiz Alexa on the weather for seven days, the news flash briefing (which I sometimes cancel), a daily Bible verse, and some album, any music I request...  I sit there and crochet up a storm. 


My latest project is a shawl for a friend who had some upsetting health news. I used a self-striping yarn from Jo-Ann's called "peaches and cream pop" in the Sweet Roll line. It is called a prayer shawl, and as I crocheted, I said a lot of prayers for her. I recently discovered crochet-alongs on YouTube. It is really easy to watch and do, pause and replay! 





I was thinking this week about a little navy blue velvet sofa my Gramma had... She sat with me on that couch for days and days while she taught me to crochet. At that time we used cotton thread and teensy hooks. She could make delicious doilies and lace around a hankie in a flash... My gramma almost never sat down still with nothing brewing to work on. Her hands were busy with embroidery, quilt piecing, crochet, latch-hook, or handwork on something she was sewing. I finally learned to crochet.  We both made granny afghans together from kits. She have hers to Mom, and I gave mine to her.   That sweet woman had such patience with me, and I often stop what I am doing with my yarn and hook (I just never loved working with thread) and whisper a little thanks to her. A few days in 1965... when I was 11 years old have made my recent days so enjoyable. 


My other grandmother Ma... she could crochet beautifully also, and she tried very hard to teach me to tat. Ma could tat in her sleep. I made only three little isolated tats... and I sent them taped in a card with a long-winded tale of the "Three Little Tats"... That card and those yellowed-tape bits and bobs became a treasure I found when we cleaned up Ma's keepsakes long ago on a sad August day in 1976. 




It is always best to crochet with a clean cat by your side!


Have a lovely spring... 

            
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       






Whimsy and Hugs!

1 comment:

Miss Merry said...

Love the peaches and cream shawl! I taught myself to crochet and people find it hilarious to watch. I keep the hook stationary and move the yarn with my fingers because that is how it looks in pictures.

My gramma tried so hard to get me to sit and learn to tat. Boy do I wish I could go back and sit with her and learn.

Meanwhile we woke up to 6" of snow yesterday. Spring, where are you?