Friday, March 2, 2018

Pink Sugar and Cheer


Such a good question. I haven't blogged in a bit. However, the weaving in of a new month asks for a little wrap up of February's busy agenda. 



Since fair February was robbed of a full moon due to blue moons in both January and March, I felt a bit sorry for her. However, you see here a full worm moon at the end of our drive last night. Stunning.

 

There has been  recent dilemma. Do I watch TV? Do I read my Kindle? or Do I sleep? I won't tell which one has been winning out except to say I read Jane Eyre again after 56 years. It is free on the kindle app from Amazon. When I was seven, I stole JANE EYRE from my mom's bookshelf. She had forbidden me to read it because I was too young. Well, I had a little 1/2 watt night light from our electric company that I plugged in underneath my big iron bed that had the lion's head in the middle... In the wee hours of the night you could find me scrooched under the bed reading by that night light... and when I came to the chapter 25... where someone escapes from the attic and tears Jane's veil... I just about peed my pants, and I lay there all night too afraid to crawl out from the protection of my bed and too afraid of my mom to call her for help... It was probably my first (not my last) quandary.



This week I ventured forth after 67 days of just staying home for no reason. I don't like the term "recluse" because of the mental association with a certain brown bug....  And I love company...  I just have a ton of projects to accomplish, and I did go out in the world for 36 years nearly every day....  I had some company arrive quite late last Sunday to share some good news. Good friends stopped several times to keep me company. 

And, tragically, there has been such sorrow in both the world news and with several friends here at home. I keep them and grieving families in my prayers.



Say hello to a new little friend! Isn't she beautiful with her lovely auntie above and her beautiful mommie below? And I had them all in school, as well as the super vivacious and proud grand-mum in the last photo. We all had tea.







My dear sister-cousin and I celebrated her birthday on Monday. I made breakfast pizza and cherry cheesecake, coffee...  and this afghan. I got her a couple other little gifts, too. She asked how long it took me to make. Well, of course, I didn't work on it solidly, but it was started at least before Mom fell on Thanksgiving of 2014. Isn't it funny how we use little landmarks of photographic memory to timestamp memories? I recall ordering the yarn for this while I still had my bedroom on the lower level here at Mom's.- 




I am currently working to finish my own Kath Kidston inspired afghan,the first I started even before this one. I revived my interest in crochet after about 25 or more years of non-activity. I told myself I would do Granny afghans until I got tired of them. Something about their finished look just stabilizes my soul although I have been looking at different patterns and different kings of yarn lately. I vowed to finish my started projects, and, so far, I have done three "finishing acts" in 2018.



Finally, I have been enjoying some delicious hot tea as my companion drink. I am more of a coffee, Diet Coke girl, but I have a lovely cupboard with many tea flavors to choose from. Today I drank Yellow and Blue, a herbal blend from Harney and Sons. It is beautiful with blossoms visible in the silk bag ---- chamomile, vanilla, amd lavendar...  Tea makes me think of a pink kitchen, specifically my Gramma's...  She kept her tea by the farmhouse sink I let get away...  Her cabinets, her table, her spirit... all pink and rosy... and full of sugar and cheer...  And that, dear friends, is what I wish for you.


Whimsy and Hugs!

1 comment:

Miss Merry said...

Staying inside where it is warm and sipping tea sounds great to me! I never left the house in January due to a minor surgery Jan 3rd and I enjoyed it so much, I plan to make it a yearly tradition! Your Afghan is so pretty. I used to make granny squares. Not sure if my fingers are nimble enough to try it again.

I had my first crocus pop up Tuesday. Unfortunately we had 4/6 inches of snow overnight so that forewarning of spring has disappeared.