Thursday, December 28, 2017

Word of the year

Nope. 2017 and 2016 had no words...  That is actually pretty fair. No words could describe the year caring for Mom after her stroke... or the year we have spend feeling like fish out of water on the riverbank since her death last January.

I have some contenders for the new 2018, and if I choose one, I will definitely fill you in. I like the practice, but of all my words through the years, I remember on the year I chose "sparkle."  I do like that one.

I can't believe how very cold today is. Our gentle deception weather disappeared overnight. My dear friend's water pipes are frozen. Everyone is doing what they can to stay cozy.... Hot tea is usually on my list.


The Southern Sun has been peeking through unexpected angles of the east and west windows. It is just now winter, and I find it hard to apologize to one and all that I like it. I love it! Yes, I do get to stay inside. However, I was out in winter's finest array of weather when I taught. I just loved it then, too. Be safe. I realize the roads are treacherous.



 Do you ever get that anxious feeling in the pit of night? Don't you hate that? I know it is anxiety creeping in to play around with the mind and torture the peace. I often get huge energy bursts right through the night (when I really can't see myself actually doing much). I tell myself I will accomplish so much tomorrow... but thank goodness, the feeling has passed by the morning's light. 


That poor, blessed little woodpecker. I am so glad he is fake. I feel sorry for him anyway with his perpetually licked and swatted feathers and his little chirpy sound. He doesn't have a chance.

Want a recipe? 

Pasta Bake

  • 12 oz uncooked medium pasta (I used rotini)
  • 1 medium onion , diced
  • 1/2 pound italian sausage (mild or hot), bulk or removed from casings
  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef (I used just hamburger and plenty of Italian seasoning)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 red pepper , diced
  • 1/2 green pepper , diced
  • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 4 cups pasta sauce
  • 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
  • 28 slices pizza pepperoni

-----------
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cook pasta according el dente to package directions. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
  3. Brown onion, garlic, sausage and beef in a large pan over medium heat. Drain any fat. Add in red and green peppers and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Add oregano, drained tomatoes and pasta sauce, stir well.
  4. Place pasta in a greased 9×13 pan. Pour meat sauce over pasta and top with cheese and pepperoni slices.
  5. Bake 35-40 minutes uncovered or until cheese is melted and pasta is heated through.

Happy New Year.




Whimsy and Hugs!

1 comment:

Miss Merry said...

I think your words for 2016 and 2017 were survive, Gayle. You did what you had to do with grace and strength and survived. Best wishes for the new year.