Saturday, October 7, 2017

Autumn Thoughts



Finally! After weeks of brittle heat we have a morning or two with swirling winds, grey-layered skies, and spotty rain. My AC still cycles   due to the muggy warmth and the fact I am rather accustomed to the "conditioned" air.  You might recognize the photograph above as one from a past post about the "resurrection" of this house by my daddy. (HERE)...  Sometimes in the dark of night when it is very hot, I can smell the old creosote walls and beams, some of them restored, a few re-purposed telephone poles from his early, unlocated lineman days with Ma Bell.

I have been struggling with this particular change of season. Fall has  always been my favorite, just inching out winter, then spring, then summer. I must say, all seasons delight. Mom and I loved taking day trips to wander the back roads and soak up the colors. Although she really loved summer with its gardening, flowerbeds, and canning the most, she also loved the changing of seasons. As I decorated the house this year, I peeled away a little more of her arrangements, boxed up more of her treasures, (for what purpose? I don't know) and made a few more corners and nooks become more of myself. Immediately I felt better, then slowly sadder...  I really miss my folks. Without the need to chat and deny all melancholy in order to be Mom's cheerleader, it feels like her passing was doubled. I never really had the "luxury?" to miss Daddy because I couldn't bear Mom's sadness. I think losing the second parent is like losing them both at once. I usually omit any references to sadness in the blog because, let's face it... everybody has something. I choose happiness as a daily preference over mourning. I just thought I would keep it real, as they say...  I am a happy person, thanks to the Lord, good positive upbringing, and so much help from family and friends.


My son has been staying here at night a little more this past couple of weeks. His house. It really needs major care, and I think the overwhelm... and the mold... and the boxes there (No minimalists in my family until him) have become too much. My kitty absolutely loves him to pieces, and she has completely altered her sleeping habits to include his presence. I would be jealous, but it's just too cute...  It melts my heart.


She spends most of her day waiting patiently on the arm of his chair.


Stay tuned this week for the rest of the Fall Home Tour! I just need to take the pictures. Mother Nature decorated at the Lake, kissing just a few trees and lighting up the night with a spectacular Harvest Moon.



Take care of yourselves. Today is Saturday, and I have a ton of to-do's on my list... If you haven't ever visited Aunt Ruthie's Sugar Pie Farmhouse blog (she is not my aunt, but that's her name), you might love it. Here is her BLOG and here is a neat pair of Fall tour videos (Hollie's .... and then Aunt Ruthie's) on YouTube.  Enjoy.  Oh, for the elegantly inclined, here is a French Farm Kitchen tour, My son surprised me with 7 (yes, seven!!!!!) huge jars of Pumpkin Spice International Delight creamer! That should do it... I might have over-emphasized the stress of not finding any creamer so far this fall. Ya think? Come over for coffee!)

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

LOL- Lucky Seven! Hope you have enough coffee in the pot to use up all that creamer. Glad your son is popping in and I am sure that helps somewhat with the loneliness you feel. I didn't mourn my parents properly when they died either and it came back at me a few years later that I missed them terribly. But- like you- I pushed forward into happier times and held the past times close to my heart.

Hope you have a blessed Sunday. Going to go check out that blog you mentioned. xo Diana